Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Painted my 5 string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by patrickj, Aug 22, 2002.

1. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    It has a swampash body, which looked nice, but after a way-to-hot concert on July 4th, I had to refinish it (air bubbles popped up, etc). As long as I was doing that, i thought I'd experiment a bit. ;)

I haven't buffed/polished it yet (giving it another 24/48 hours of drying time), but it already has a nice shine to it.

[​IMG]

no comments regarding the cheapo practice amp :p

2. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Nice Job

Do you play out of a JL 12W0? That's awesome! Where do you get your mids and highs though?

3. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    It's just for practicing.. I've got a 20ish year old Fender bassman 4x12, as well as a 2x10 and 1x15 for performing.

4. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    That's still awesome lol, I got one of those in my car. Props to ya.

5. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I like it, is that the WIP custom 5 in the picture?

6. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    Yep!

originally looked like
    [​IMG]

7. Hi:
    the painted bass is not the bass shown at the bottom, right?
    May I ask what the offical color is on the bass w/ the fretlines (or frets). Is it dark grey or bluish/black?
    Maybe its my computer
    frank

8. PJ, if I could offer a little advice regarding your final buff-out stage. Wait quite a bit longer and it'll pay off in a harder, more glossy finish. 2-3 days really isn't long enough to cure a finish, especially one that's been done at home. There is usually significant "outgassing" that is still occuring during this time and until all of the solvents are gone, the finish is still "green" - well, so to speak :)

I would wait until I couldn't smell ANYTHING with my nose right on the body and then wait another couple of days until buffing and waxing.

9. jpwinters

jpwinters Guest

Aug 22, 2002
    Norfolk, Va
    What kind of bass is that? That's a cool bass.

10. JohnL

JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    What pickup did you go with? I'm shopping right now for a pup for my DIY project, a fretted 5 string, MM style pup, matte finished swamp ash. Thanks!

11. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    Same bass, but I fixed a few things after sanding all the old finish off. I fixed the pickup/routing gouge (fake wood in a can, epoxy / sawdust, etc). It's straight black (paint / acrylic.. not dye). The camera I was using sucks a bit..

The fingerboard is that Bois de Rose wood, very purplish in color.

Hambone: sounds good! School is starting next week, so I think I'll wait at least until next weekend before I consider it.

Jpwinters: it's a 'PatrickJ Custom 5' ;)

JohnL: Seymour Duncan Basslines 5