Painted on frets.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CrawDad, Mar 2, 2002.

1. I have a friend that has a fretless 5 string Peavey. It sounds great and all, but he painted on his frets in order to have a clue where to put his fingers. Is this a smart idea or just an amature thing?
  2. I guess that all depends. Does he ever intend to sell the bass. If not it probably doesn't matter. I don't think I have seen an unlined fretless Cirrus ever. If I wanted lines on a fretless, though, I would either get fretlines put on by a luthier (some nice maple ones maybe) or I would trade up and get one that already had one (probably cheaper).

3. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I don't know if I would say it's an amature thing because a lot of the more pricey fretless's even have fretlines.

I just know that I wouldn't even buy a fretless with them. I don't look down on players because they have the fret markers though. (Heck, even Ed Freidland has a fretless with fretmarkers)

Fretless's aren't as hard to play as some people make them out to be. (Unless your try to play one drunk :D :p )

As long as you have decent technique on a fretted and your fretless has the dots on the top of the neck. (Not sure how common the dots are though) You shouldn't have any problem. (I just gave about the same rant in another thread. :D )
  4. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    I would be most worried about getting the lines in the right positions...
  5. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I had an idea:

have lines put where harmonics are. If i didn't have fretlines/frets i don't know if i would be able to find the ones close to the nut and bridge.
  6. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Just hope they are in the right position.
  7. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I haven't either. Does anyone know if you can get a fretless Cirrus without lines?
  8. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    It isn't that big of a deal. If he ever wants to get rid of the painted on lines or wants to sell the bass, he can have the board re-planed. That would take off all the paint.

As for lines vs. no lines. I have a fretless bass guitar with lines. My upright of course has no lines. I don't think lines help you that much after the first few weeks of playing fretless.

9. Darrelpr

Feb 2, 2002
    Texas, USA
    Peavey does not offer this as an option. (At least they didn't when I ordered my Cirrus several months back.)

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Sounds kinda dufus to me. What happens when the paint starts to wear off? Butt-ugly in my estimation, eh?
  11. that will only work if the bass is properly intonated in the first place, though.