Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Painters I need your help! (Picking an easel)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by PollyBass, Feb 3, 2004.

1. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Alright,

For years now, my bride to be has always wanted to paint, and has, to a limited degree. She adores Gogh, (I'm a Dali man myself.) and many others. Well, I want to surprise her with her first easel! I am by no means a painter, and cannot even draw the same thing twice, let alone waste money on canvas to see if I would be any good. She, however, is very artistic.

I want to get her a really good, nice easel. My price range is 100-240 or around.

I was looking at these 3....

This one, the "Best Classic Dulce Easel"
    http://www.xylemdesign.com/Easels/ArtistEasels/BestClassicDulceEasel.asp

This one, the AVIGNON Deluxe Studio Easel
    http://www.easelstudio.com/avdelstudeas.html

and this one, for cheapness. The "Academy Dulce Easel" (Cheaper knock off of the Best Classic Dulce Easel)
    http://www.xylemdesign.com/Easels/ArtistEasels/AcademyDulceEasel.asp

I want her to have something nice, and that will last a while. any painters think these are any good or have some advice on picking one out for her?

Shhhhhh. It's a surprise.

2. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Come on, I know your hiding.....

:ninja:

3. Jim Ingraham

Jim Ingraham

Nov 14, 2002
    Shillington
    I use the the academy version and its been great!. Here's a tip...buy a set of casters to screw on the bottom.

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I own the Best Classic Dulce; it's my smaller indoor easel, as I also own the Best Santa Fe II. The Dulce is a really good, solid easel that'll hold a variety of sizes and weights (which is important). I prefer easels with two tightening knobs, but good ones usually only start at around $500+, so the Best Classic Dulce is probably the best easel for the prices you're looking at.

The only other suggestion I'd have would be to get a Julian full-box French easel (the best French-style easel out there if you ask me) if she paints outdoors more often than indoors. They go for about $150, and they're essential for landscapists. But they're not the best indoor easels as they don't hold too much weight and only hold canvases up to 36". Also, you can find cheap French easel knock-offs at Odd Job-type stores occasionally for $50, and if you only paint outside occasionally, these suit just fine.

Here's a link if you'd like to buy the Dulce at a cheaper price with some brushes thrown in:
    Best Classic Dulce sale

Hope I've been of some help :)

5. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Thanks guys! Bryan, I forgot you paint, I remember seeing you in that "Other things you do besides Bass" thread.

She doesn't paint outdoors much, but I think I know of what your talking about. Those (excuse my wording..) tripod looking deals? In any case, thanks for your help!

6. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Yeah, it looks like this...[​IMG]..good deal at Jerry's on them right now too. Anyways, hope she like it!