Painting a cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jure the second, May 25, 2005.

1. I have a nice 4x10. It sounds great, but I've grown tired of the looks of it. I'm thinking about painting the grill or putting a logo or something on.
    Has anybody done it? Any ideas what to put on? Any photos?

2. someone recently-ish posted pictures of thier re-done peavey combos, were redone with a metal grill and a camo covering instead of tolex or carpet, looked really good
  3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    yup some searching will show you some of the TB artwork.

one thing to consider, in most cases you'll greatly reduce the resale value of an amp or cab by decorating it. if that doesnt bother you, then go nuts.
  4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    "Beauty" is definitely in the eye of the beholder. What you think of as a visual upgrade might want to make others puke.

Do what you want for yourself, but as said above, it might kill any resale value despite your opinion of it as an "upgrade".
  5. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Someone who's local around here did a decoration job on their cabs. Although he was smart, as he realised his art wouldn't be loved by everyone and he wouldn't be leeping the cabs for ever, so he made some canvas like covers for them. He painted them up nicely, stuck the canvas (I think it was anyway) onto the cabs and when he wanted to sell them, simply pulled them off.

You might want to do something like that. And if your going to do a grill, it might be a better idea to get someone to make you one that will fit your cab. Then if you want to sell it or change it back, you can just whack the original back on. Also, if you going for artwork, grills with big spaces arn't really the best. Something like what Ampeg uses on front of their speakers would be the ticket most likely, just don't use something thick or anything that will act like a blanket over the speakers.
  6. throbgod13

Mar 26, 2005
    strip your cab down..

take it somewhere and have it shot with bed liner..

scrape the excess bed liner off edges, etc..

re-install everything..

and now you have a new cab, and it wears really well.. ;)
  7. You can also buy bedliner in a rollon form from PepBoys parts stores. Looks good with a medium nap roller.