Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Painting a DiMarzio Model One pickup?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Rumblebee, May 4, 2005.

1. Rumblebee

Rumblebee Guest

Mar 16, 2005
    Hey,

I wanted to replace my Gibson EB0 mudbucker pick-up with a DiMarzio Model One. However, I don't want to alter the look of the bass too much, and DiMarzio only offers the Model One in a black finish nowadays. In lieu of spending a ton of time tracking down a used Model One with the chrome finish, I was wondering if I could paint the new Model One a chrome/silvery color? Would it affect the sound? And if not, what would be the best way to go about doing it? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

2. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    get it chromed.

3. Rumblebee

Rumblebee Guest

Mar 16, 2005
    Cool... So where do I get that done? And how much would it run my meager pocketbook? (Ha! And you thought I knew what you were talking about... take pity on this ignorant thud thumper.)

4. adam on bass

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    There's gotta be a chrome shop in your area. Look in the phone book or inline. I would imagine it would run no more than $40. I am not sure that the faceplate comes off of the Model One's, so it might be wasted advice.

5. :bassist:

6. I had my Model One and Will Power Middle p/ups chromed, but it was by a place that redo plastic stuff for car interiors, called Modicoat in Australia. With their process, the chrome is on a film that disolves in water and coats the object being placed on it flawlessly. It looks absolutely fantastic and I guess their must be someone up you end of the world who do it as well.

BTW, because the p/ups were so small to what they would usually coat, I got it done heaps cheap, as another cumstomer was having a larger car part done and there was enough left over to do my p/ups.

No affect on sound what so ever.

7. Rumblebee

Rumblebee Guest

Mar 16, 2005
    Thanks for the advice. I'll look into that. You would think someone in the Chicago area does that, but who knows? If not, I guess I'm back to square one. But, again, thanks. That's a good lead!

8. Rumblebee

Rumblebee Guest

Mar 16, 2005
    ...And by the bye, if any one wants to get rid of their older, functional chrome DiMarzio Model One, that would work for me too! (Doesn't hurt to ask!)

9. adam on bass

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
  10. Rumblebee

Rumblebee Guest

Mar 16, 2005
    Cool. I did get some info on some other plating/chroming places, but this seems like a good one. Thanks for the help.