1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Painting a grunge bass, sugestions?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by derrick007, Mar 16, 2009.

1. derrick007

derrick007

Aug 14, 2008
    Dallas Texas
    So, i sanded down my bass pictured here.
    IMG_1021.

I intended to repaint it white, to just put some life back in it, but after thinking that was dumb for some reason, I impulsively painted it silver. The silver is about the same shade as this here PS3
    http://videogames.techfresh.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/satin-silver-ps3.jpg
    but with a fresh high gloss 2000 grit wetsand polish. The problem is the finish actually looks really good. I haven't put the clear over it yet so I can still put more layers over it if i have too. With that neck (white headstock with black tuners, and striped dark and light shaded wood between frets) and all black hardware, and a black pickguard, what can i do to make a silver body look normal? I hate to paint over it because the silver looks fantastic, but I might have to. I was thinking maybe leaving a 3/4 inch stripe of silver coming from the bridge pup up to about 2 1/2 inches from the top of the upper horn, along the length of the left side of the face of the bass, about 1 1/2 inches from the side, then painting the rest white. Basically paint it gloss white with a silver stripe on the left side.

Any other suggestions? And yes, it's a grunge only bass. I play other stuff on my Hamer and my fretless acoustic, but the Epiphone is grunge only, it's like an unspoken rule. Either way, yeah, it's grunge, and i guess that has a lot to do with how i should paint it. So, I got nothin but time tomorrow, give me some crazy cool ideas for ways to use or at least still incorporate the silver, I could use some practice at stenciling and pinstriping anyway.

2. StarscreamG1

StarscreamG1

Dec 17, 2007
    That fretboard looks cool on it.

Not sure what suggestions to give you but maybe you could take some black paint or some red, load up a paint brush, hold the brush about a foot or so away from the body and run your hand across the top of the brush. Fan it, spraying the paint out where it flings on the body? Do that in red just right and it will look like a major blood splatter all over it...only thing I could think of... might give you some other ideas? ^_^

Oh yea and if you don't want to get your hand all covered in paint doing it that way, step back a couple of feet and just fling the brush (flick your wrist type thing but forcefully) toward the body flinging the paint out to land on it. That will probably get it in bigger clumps and more hap hazard. Or maybe do both ways in two different colors. *shrug*

3. derrick007

derrick007

Aug 14, 2008
    Dallas Texas
    i like that, i really do, but its just a bit too much for my needs :)

4. sarcastro83

sarcastro83

Jul 27, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    grunge = plaid.

5. blondmix3

blondmix3 Supporting Member

May 30, 2007
    Evansville, Indiana
    Why not just paint the headstock silver and maybe do a black racing stripe on the body?

6. Toastfuzz

Toastfuzz

Jul 20, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    +1.

[​IMG]

7. That Sounds quite Stone Roses like (Inspired by Jackson Pollock)

Manni__s_Stone_Roses_Bass_by_fingerclickingood.

Only picture i can find & It's not Manis, it's somone from a tribute band but his was still painted like this....Always wanted to do a bass like that...but I've only got an Epiphone EB3 and my first ever bass which i bought off a mate for £15 Some Nirvada thing...That'd look pretty good but it doesnt have the right name nor play :)

8. derrick007

derrick007

Aug 14, 2008
    Dallas Texas
    a plaid bass would be interesting, i've thought about it but no. I don't want to paint the headstock cause i want to keep the Epiphone logo.

9. blockinlay

blockinlay

Feb 21, 2009
    Phila Pa
    Put some black paint on your dog or cats paws and let it walk across a couple times, or paint a low on air dirtbike tire and roll it over it, then let dry, wet sand with 600 grit, clearcoat it and be done. It's a grunge job, you can always redo it.

10. StarscreamG1

StarscreamG1

Dec 17, 2007
    That bass looks cool! LOL I had no idea I was describing what has been done already. Duhhh..small world.... I was also thinking of suggesting doing what Eddie Vanhalen had on his guitars; that whole tapestripe hap hazard thing going on. But maybe do it with paint. One could also load the bass up with stickers but that would hide the silver.

Ok heres another suggestion. Get some dark grey or black paint (appropriate type of paint)..thin it out and load it up on a rag and just rub it all over the body. Then take a dry rag and wipe it down. What paint sticks, sticks, what doesnt lets the silver shine through but a dirty version of it. Make the bass look 'dirty'. Then coat it with some semi gloss or matt clear coat to seal it and there you go.

11. I'm more interested in that neck.
    How'd you do that, bleach or maple veneers?
    :D
    Still, how?

12. derrick007

derrick007

Aug 14, 2008
    Dallas Texas
    the neck is done very improperly, making any work on it in the future very dificult if not imposible, but i didn't think of that at the time. i sanded down every other fret, then put walnut stain on the sanded ones and re clear coated it. worked, but now the fretboard is unlevel.

13. I suppose string bending is fun on that.

14. Hi! The choices are almost infinite. I saw a guitar once, in a magazine, and it was painted in 3 wierd different colors but it worked because it did not starin the eyes too much. It was called a Slut scheme, I think. Over 20 years ago though.
    I prefer natural wood when possible but solids can be anything. One of my old guitarists had a Strat painted sort of Paisley patterned but i grew used to it after a few years.
    All my buitars and basses are as I bought them. Best left as they are from Factory to infinity.

15. Raycozu

Raycozu

Jun 15, 2010
    I don't know how to explain my idea but I'll try... paint the middle of the bass white, like a big racing stripe coming from the neck, and add on the borders between silver and white a black stripe, and one or two black stripes in the middle. sporty.