painting a guitar

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nickname, Feb 20, 2006.

1. nickname

Jan 22, 2005
    I would like to change the color of the body of my guitar. I'm looking for some tips and info on what kind of paint i should use, and how to time the process and eseential tools.

any help would be greatly appreciated
  2. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Not as easy as it looks. What kind of bass is it? What color is it? The stripping can depend entirely on what the current finish is made out of. Less expensive basses tend to have polyester finishes that can be very difficult to remove and just as difficult to cover.

If you want it done properly, you'll need to strip the existing finish, and then from there, it depends on the finish you want.

Check out for some very detailed reading on the subject.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

unless you have the tools and skill i would imagine it would be almost impossible to get a finish that is as good as a professional finish.
  4. nickname

Jan 22, 2005
  5. nickname

Jan 22, 2005
    what about changing the body. would it be possible to just get a part and then paint it.. or find another part a different color? and how would i find out what part to get?
  6. Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    It would most likely cost you as much to get a new body as to have the old one re done.
  7. K2000

Nov 16, 2005
    You can pay somebody to paint it professionally, for roughly about 250 bucks I'd guess. This should look just as good as a factory finish.

If you're not hung up on a professional (factory quality) result (and some guys aren't) you can paint it yourself. If you have the space (ventilation) the shop skills and the patience, you can even possibly get a factory quality finish with those Reranch products. It does take time to refinish an instrument (stripping, then multiple coats of paint and gloss, multiple passes of buffing etc).

I've considered doing it, too. Here's a couple of links for places that will do it for you (look on Ebay too) Shop.htm
  8. lola99

Jan 28, 2006
    Can you change the pickguard? If you used a completely different color that could change the look of the bass
  9. klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    Best bet is probably to pickup a replacement P body (MIM fender, yes?), then sell that one on e-bay after you swap in the new one.
    You might be out a few bucks in the end, but probably no more than it would cost you to buy all the supplies and paint that you'd need to DIY. Refinishing is a pain in the tookas to do well.

Or get a finished warmoth body for like $200-300, sell yours on ebay for ~$100-150 and have a serious upgrade. :D
  10. trust me, stripping that factory fender finish off is a PITA, ive done it, and it took me the better part of a week to get it off. it all has to be done by hand, chemical strippers wont even toutch the finish, save one kind that i cant remeber the name of, but is pricey and hard to find.

best thing to do is look for a mighty mite body and get it painted, they usually sell for about 60-70 bucks online and you get a liscensed fender replica.
  11. nickname

Jan 22, 2005
    what about if i just got a new body period. got new pickups, knobs, wiring, etc? would i be able to use my neck with something? this could be a custom guitar I could build using peices and parts i already have and then selling parts that i don't end up using.

any suggestions?
  12. klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA

yes. as I said in this comment.

Replacement bodies can be got from, allparts, many other places. If you're talking about replacing all the electronics you may as well buy a whole new bass, because it'll be cheaper.
  13. JazzBassMayn

Dec 10, 2005
    Oregon, OH
    Why did you get that BASS if you hate everything about it?
  14. nickname

Jan 22, 2005
    i got it 2 years ago as a birthday gift. I liked it 3 years ago when i thought blink was the coolest thing on this planet... well then i started working at a music store and a revelation occured in my eardrums

15. lola99

Jan 28, 2006
    If you don't like the look AND the sound, and if you don't have a financial investment in this bass, why don't you sell it and put the money you make into a new one? In the long run it'll probably cost you less time and energy, and if you take home a bass you chose it might make you happier. Do they give their workers discounts at the music store?

I'm just starting out, and I love my bass. I don't know how a person can practice on a bass they don't love.
  16. nickname

Jan 22, 2005
    im working on selling it.. but i play in a steady band.. so i gotta have the extra budget up front so im not stuck without a guitar
  17. lola99

Jan 28, 2006
    That's really don't like your bass, but you need a bass on a daily basis and selling it and buying a new one will take time, as will putting on a new body or painting it.

Can you maybe borrow a floor model from the music store? Disregard that as it'll probably land you in jail.

Good luck!