1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Painting a pickguard: A few questions...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FenderStripes, Jun 12, 2005.

1. FenderStripes

FenderStripes

Jun 12, 2005
    I was planning on buying an Arctic White Fender P-bass in a few weeks and I was going to remove the pickguard to paint it black, which would be much less costly as opposed to buying a whole new pickguard altogether. I have a few questions though...

- What kind of paint should I use? Of course, I want something high-quality...nothing that'd start peeling off the next day, ya know? :smug:

- Is there any sort of method that I should use to remove the knobs? I know they're supposed to come right off (...I think...). When I was changing my friend's guitar pickguard, I just jiggled them around and pulled them off...but it seemed kinda 'not-safe' for the guitar. Is there a safer way of removing the knobs?

- About the Arctic White P-bass, in particular...I noticed, while looking at pictures of it, that it has those white (correct me if I'm wrong->) plastic knobs, yet the other colored P-basses have chrome knobs...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Is this really the case? It isn't that big of a deal, but I prefer the chrome knobs over the white plastic-looking ones.

Thanks! :)

2. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Painting plastic is difficult and is likely to look okay from a distance, but crap close up. Don't spoil your bass for the sake of a few dollars! Save up for a black one (about $25), and some chrome knobs. Most knobs have a little allen type screw in the side for holding them tight on to the pot shaft, by the way, although cheaper ones may just be a push fit.

3. 513rocks.com

513rocks.com

Sep 22, 2004
    Mason, Ohio
    you can get black pickguards on ebay for around 10.00. how much is a can of spray paint nowdays? i agree, just buy a new guard.

4. Futurehead

Futurehead

Jun 9, 2005
    Use a can of spray paint. Do one light spray, don't worry if it's not all covered. Let it dry for at least 3 hours. Then re-spray. Oh yeah and use a mask. Spray paint is deadly. Just a heads up.

The safer alternative: You can get pickguards for £15 in my local shop so I'm sure you can get them cheaper on Ebay.

Oh yeah, and as far as I know all the knobs of Precisions are chrome. They look more like Strat knobs. How odd.

5. FenderStripes

FenderStripes

Jun 12, 2005
    $10??? :eek: Bah! I was looking through a MusiciansFriend catalog and some of 'em were going for $80-$90. In that case, I'll probably pick up a pickguard then...

6. fatbassjazzer

fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    ATL
  7. FenderStripes

FenderStripes

Jun 12, 2005
    [​IMG]

:eek: The third one from the right...what color is that?!

Chrome Plated Brass
    Mint Green 3-ply (MG/B/MG)
    Black 3-ply (B/W/B)
    White 3-ply (W/B/W)
    Acrylic Mirror
    Tortoise 3-ply (T/W/B)
    Vintage Red Tortoise 3-ply (T/W/B)
    Simulated Snake Skin
    Parchment (Old White) 3-ply (RT/W/B)
    Dark Black Pearloid 3-ply (P/B/P)
    Black Pearloid 3-ply (BP/W/B)
    White Pearloid 3-ply (WP/W/B)

It's either the Black Pearloid or the Dark Black Pearloid...I must have it...

8. timo

timo

May 31, 2005
    Halifax, UK
    I agree!

9. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    Dark black, the black would be the lighter black one.