Painting a pickguard: A few questions...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FenderStripes, Jun 12, 2005.

1. FenderStripes

Jun 12, 2005
    I was planning on buying an Arctic White Fender P-bass in a few weeks and I was going to remove the pickguard to paint it black, which would be much less costly as opposed to buying a whole new pickguard altogether. I have a few questions though...

- What kind of paint should I use? Of course, I want something high-quality...nothing that'd start peeling off the next day, ya know? :smug:

- Is there any sort of method that I should use to remove the knobs? I know they're supposed to come right off (...I think...). When I was changing my friend's guitar pickguard, I just jiggled them around and pulled them off...but it seemed kinda 'not-safe' for the guitar. Is there a safer way of removing the knobs?

- About the Arctic White P-bass, in particular...I noticed, while looking at pictures of it, that it has those white (correct me if I'm wrong->) plastic knobs, yet the other colored P-basses have chrome knobs...

Is this really the case? It isn't that big of a deal, but I prefer the chrome knobs over the white plastic-looking ones.

Thanks! :)
  2. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Painting plastic is difficult and is likely to look okay from a distance, but crap close up. Don't spoil your bass for the sake of a few dollars! Save up for a black one (about $25), and some chrome knobs. Most knobs have a little allen type screw in the side for holding them tight on to the pot shaft, by the way, although cheaper ones may just be a push fit.
  3. Supporting Member

Sep 22, 2004
    Mason, Ohio
    you can get black pickguards on ebay for around 10.00. how much is a can of spray paint nowdays? i agree, just buy a new guard.
  4. Futurehead

Jun 9, 2005
    Use a can of spray paint. Do one light spray, don't worry if it's not all covered. Let it dry for at least 3 hours. Then re-spray. Oh yeah and use a mask. Spray paint is deadly. Just a heads up.

The safer alternative: You can get pickguards for £15 in my local shop so I'm sure you can get them cheaper on Ebay.

Oh yeah, and as far as I know all the knobs of Precisions are chrome. They look more like Strat knobs. How odd.
  5. FenderStripes

Jun 12, 2005
    $10??? :eek: Bah! I was looking through a MusiciansFriend catalog and some of 'em were going for $80-$90. In that case, I'll probably pick up a pickguard then...
  6. FenderStripes

Jun 12, 2005

:eek: The third one from the right...what color is that?!

Chrome Plated Brass
    Mint Green 3-ply (MG/B/MG)
    Black 3-ply (B/W/B)
    White 3-ply (W/B/W)
    Acrylic Mirror
    Tortoise 3-ply (T/W/B)
    Vintage Red Tortoise 3-ply (T/W/B)
    Simulated Snake Skin
    Parchment (Old White) 3-ply (RT/W/B)
    Dark Black Pearloid 3-ply (P/B/P)
    Black Pearloid 3-ply (BP/W/B)
    White Pearloid 3-ply (WP/W/B)

It's either the Black Pearloid or the Dark Black Pearloid...I must have it...
  7. timo

May 31, 2005
    Halifax, UK
    I agree!
  8. FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    Dark black, the black would be the lighter black one.