Painting a Pickguard

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Lowner, Nov 6, 2005.

1. Lowner

May 14, 2005
    Over Here
    My Fender P Bass is blue agave and the pick guard iswhite. i have a strat that is the same color and i put a blue moto pickguard on it. It looks great but I want to do smething different for my P bass. I want to paint my nickname or some kind of design on it. I just dont know what kind of paint would stick. I will most likely be using a brush and handpainting it not spray painting it. What kind of paint will stick and will it even work?
  2. dave120

Jun 27, 2005
    Central Florida
    I've had experience recently with using some vinyl dye on an old Silvertone amp my dad had in the 60's. The tolex-type stuff (actually it was more like wall paper) was worn out and just didn't look good so I painted it with that stuff and it's been really durable. I also painted the white tremolo cover of my strat guitar black with it and it's pretty good too. It seems kind of like a plastic coating that it puts on it and doesn't flake off at all.

You can find it in the automotive section of Wal-Mart or at any auto parts store. It's for coloring vinyl and carpeting. I think it's made by Duplicolor but I've used a couple different brands and it's basically the same thing.