Painting and Refinishing

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Kohl, Mar 14, 2020.

1. Kohl

Kohl

Mar 21, 2013
    Trinidad
    Hi guys, I am new to all of this so forgive me if I am unorthodox.

I stripped the wood of my old Ibanez IJXB150B 4 string (sanded to bare wood), and I am about to prime and paint it. However, my biggest concern is how do I cover up or preserve the holes for the bridge where the ground wire and screws go so that I do not lose them when the paint covers it up?

Also, where can I buy long enough drill bits for the ground wire hole just in case I need to redrill it?

Matt Liebenau likes this.
  2. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    You’d have to put a ton of paint on to bury the holes, but if you are planning on wetsanding it, put a little paste wax or yellow glue in the holes to keep water out. Water can swell the wood and crack the paint around holes. Most hardware or Big Box stores have what they call “aircraft” drill bits, I have one 3/16” dia x 8”, perfect for drilling ground or pup wire holes. Do that BEFORE you paint, in case you drill right out the back! If you ream it out to 3/16”, you’ll never fill that hole with paint. (Guess how I know this, thank god for Bondo). BTW, check out the Rattlecan Refinish Club here on TB, more than you ever wanted to know about painting guitars, and it’s all free! Also check out the ReRanch painting guide:
    Guitar ReRanch ~ Basic Refinishing

Also Tundraman’s painting tutorial, he’s a TB poster too:
    Spraying A Finish

Beej and Kohl like this.
  3. Kohl

Kohl

Mar 21, 2013
    Trinidad

Wow! Well I am amazed at the information I got in reply. That was quick and abundant. I will check everything out and post again as I get stuck along the way. Thanks again Gilmourisgod.

Beej and Matt Liebenau like this.
  4. Kohl

Kohl

Mar 21, 2013
    Trinidad

I forgot to ask. Do you have any info on getting to a satin finish?
    After I put on the solid color, usually a lot of YouTube videos and forums say sand between clear coats but if I am putting on a satin clear coat do I sand it and when do I stop sanding - Is it that I do one last spray after a final sand and it should dry smoothly?

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 24, 2022