Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

painting avatar tweeter

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by adept_inept, Jan 22, 2006.

1. adept_inept

adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    what do i have to do to paint the tweeter on my avatar? anythign to not do/worry about and/or avoid?

-pc

2. adept_inept

adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    i removed thr grill, put the plastic is all one unit. and the wiring is done perfectly. so theres no real way to remove it to paint it.

unless i hand paint the outside...

maybe.

3. Make sure you don't get paint into the back of the horn.Use a real small tissue or something else you can remove easily stuffed at the back.All you should have to do to take the tweeter out is remove the 4 screws that hold it in and pull off the push-on connectors that are on the terminals.Just remember which wire goes to which so you keep it in phase when you put it back in.

4. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

I painted mine silver. Just remove it, sand it all over to get the gloss off so the new paint wil stick then use a soda cap to cover the very inside of the horn. Job done...

5. adept_inept

adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    thansk for the tips. that bass you have there is AMAZING. a lecompte, right? beautiful. and the shape is damn sexy.

how's it sound/play?

6. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I would then coat it with a few coats of spray urethane.

7. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Yes sir, it's a LeCompte and plays as good as it looks! Thanks for the compliment!

8. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Do people ever mistake it for an SWR?

I painted the grill of my Avatar red. It looks pretty cool. I've always wanted a red grill.

9. adept_inept

adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    do you have any pics? i was thinking of doing this instead...

i still think a red tweeter would be hotter though.

10. adept_inept

adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    can't i just leave the tweeter attached to the amp? just cover the rest of the amp in plastic wrap/bags, and mask around it. then stick some tissue in the tweeter, and a soda cap on top to get a defined patter. seems like it would work, and no tweeter removal, which is tough cos this thing was made with the wires cut so perfectly.

11. tolson36

tolson36

Oct 20, 2003
    for the 112
    Might look good to have a red tolex cab--paint the tweeter red, and also the rim around the 12" speaker

---------------------------------------------
    The top cabinet has a piece of foam posterboard over the existing baffle obtained for $5

It's actually a much closer match (almost exact) than it looks in the shot. Must have something to do with the lighting---from behind the grill the digital camera gave it a more pinkish tone than it has in real life. Might be that the difference in the texture relects more light from one than the other.

the posterboard really makes the blue Delta speakers stand out

[​IMG]

got a sample of this--seems to be almost a perfect match and only $20 per yard

http://www.mojomusicalsupply.com/cgi-bin/mojotone/7310500r.html

12. adept_inept

adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    i got an ever cooler idea for the area behind the speakers. i'm ging ot take posterboard, and make a collage of black and whie nespaper articales/pics.

^me being artsy... haha. :D

figured that with the black speakers and red tweeter would be nice.

then a white tolex or red tolex 1 12. and do the same newspaper style thing in the back.

13. boonk

boonk

Jan 11, 2006
    NB CANADA
    when i get my avatar cab i am going to hook some led's behind the grill, and if i get creative enough i'd have multiple coloured ones that respond to the sound, haha, thats gunna take a while

14. tolson36

tolson36

Oct 20, 2003
    good ideas

this may be getting stupid--but how about a drawing of a woman's shoulders just above the speaker cones on a 210?

15. trumpeter

trumpeter

Jan 23, 2006
    Amherst, MA
    Wow tolson, that looks amazing, can you explain the red on the top cab, I would love to have something like that.

Just basically the procedure you used

16. adept_inept

adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006

ha

ha ha ha

well, it'd be interesting.

i still like my artsy newspaper collage.

then again, the naked body IS art.

17. tolson36

tolson36

Oct 20, 2003
    """can you explain the red on the top cab""""

1. bought a sheet of foam-backed posterboard at office max--$5

2. cut posterboard to fit baffle area with sharp razor--make it a fairly tight fit

3. took off grill, speakers, horn--disconnected wires

4. layed sheet in baffle area--cut out same areas as baffle for speakers and horn

5. with sewing needle---I stuck needle through bottom of existing screw holes to mark speaker screw holes

6. to mark screw holes on horn had to come from top and just try to find them--make sure any extra pinholes you poke will be covered by flange of the horn

7. to mark the rubber cushions--you must also kind of guess where the holes are and poke till you find them---it helps to somehow mark (with tape) the approx--longitude and latitude of the holes before you stick the baffle on---

8. then just screw down everything---the speakers--horn-cushions will compress the foam board as you tighten

9---there is no reason why you can't use a colored posterboard that is thinner (cardboard instead of foam back) or any other material that can by easily cut--maybe just plain posterboard and spraypaint the surface too

nice thing is that the speakers, horn, and rubber cushions will hold everything in place--no need to glue or fasten the board with anything else--so you can always return it to the original look

the nice thing about using the foam board is that it gives it this look where all the parts are sort of sunk into the materiel--if you know what I mean

the foam may crease in a few spots but that's not noticeable unless you look real close---I probably would have used a cardboard posterboard--but I saw this foam one that matched colors almost perfect

"""led's behind the grill that respond to sound""""

is it possible to find some lighting that would respond to sound-that would be cool--is this a DJ item?

18. Triclops

Triclops Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    that posterboard thing is the coolest thing EVER ! I am going to do this to my cabs for sure!

19. boonke--
    I purchased a strip of neon from an auto parts store that runs on 12V and has a little box that senses sound (vibrations of any kind) and pulses the light accordingly. I mounted the neon just inside the top of my rack to illuminate my controls and rack drawer. Cost me about 20 bucks. I never use the music sensing feature but that is beside the point.

I'll bet that if you are electronic savy enough to wire up LEDs with the proper voltages, you could use the sensor from a rig like mine to make them pulse. With multiple such sensors set at different thresholds, going to different colors of LEDs you could have a lot of fun.