1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Painting Bass Effect Sound?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hepbass, Sep 7, 2017.

1. Hepbass

Hepbass

Dec 27, 2015
    South Dakota
    I recently had my daughter paint my Fender Duff bass. She's a pretty good artist. I love the bass but I was never very happy with a white bass so I let her go to town on it. It looks great! I know if you paint, sticker, etc... to an acoustic it can affect the sound of the guitar. Does it affect an electric? I'm still waiting for the final clear coat so I haven't been able to test it out.

2. PeterH

PeterH

Dec 31, 2015
    NY
    From what I remember, Chris Squire's 4001s was stripped and painted a couple times to the point where the body width was changed, which is a part of why his Ric kind of sounds different from other Rics... so unless it's a significant amount of paint added/wood or finish removed, it shouldn't change. It probably wouldn't even be enough to be noticed in all honesty, even if there was a difference; but I'm no expert.

gebass6 and Coolhandjjl like this.
  3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    We need cool daughter art work pics man!!!
    :hyper:

I think the tone will be fine. It already had a thick poly finish on it anyway.

4. Hepbass

Hepbass

Dec 27, 2015
    South Dakota
    Let me see if I can manipulate the pic I've got. It shows her and I obviously don't want that all over the web. Privacy, man! :)

5. Hepbass

Hepbass

Dec 27, 2015
    South Dakota
    Sorry for the poor pic but you get the idea. I don't yet have the knobs and strings back on it yet.

Attached Files:

6. fretno

fretno Supporting Member

May 10, 2009
    Los Angeles
    IME no but a oil finish can , in fact I ruined a body once with Walnut oil . Looked great though . I had Pat Wilkins refin a vintage Schecter and it did not change it in the slightest .

7. Oddly

Oddly Unofficial TalkBass Cartographer! Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    You will of course be wearing this?
    john_entwistle_the_who_skeleton_suit_isle_of_wright_flea.

ONYX, onosson, Coolhandjjl and 5 others like this.
  8. Hepbass

Hepbass

Dec 27, 2015
    South Dakota
    No oil paint used. And "YES!". I will be wearing the bones suit. :)

9. That bass looks spectacular.

Can a paintjob affect the tone of an electric? I say absolutely yes, on a nano level. Can a human detect the difference with their ears? I say no way. Some will insist yes they can. Nobody will offer up double-blind evidence.

Or, from another viewpoint, if you are very happy with the way your bass looks, you are going to play it with more confidence and pride, and therefore it is going to sound better.

10. Low84

Low84 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    I've got a solidbody bass that was painted two or three times by its previous owner... then after I picked it up, it was stripped... tung-oiled... paint-penned... stripped again... primered... painted... and clear-coated. I can't tell a difference in sound... but yeah, I'm sure some of those strippings ate away some of the raw wood.

I'd stop and think about paint's effects if it were an acoustic or a semi-hollow instrument I was considering re-painting... but for a Fender-style solidbody with a maple neck, I say let 'er rip... you ain't gonna hurt it.

11. J-Bassomatic

J-Bassomatic

Mar 30, 2017
    Canton OH
    That's awesome. She's got talent.:thumbsup:

12. Gully Foyle

Gully Foyle Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2014
    Near Boston
    I think you mean affect

Yes bring the hate!

13. Ellery

Ellery

Mar 25, 2015
    That looks COOL!

topcat2069 likes this.
  14. MYLOWFREQ

MYLOWFREQ Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    New York
    That's a great peace of art, congrats to your daughter!!

Regarding the question, there's a lot of people say it doesn't make a difference on an electric bass. Some posted here videos of a strat made out of cardboard. Someone just asked if pickguards ruin the tone. Even Fender produced basses with thinner finishes claiming the body resonates more, the bass breathes etc..

I don't know the answer but do think there would be some effect. Can we hear it? Not sure..

15. Well KBD is out, so somebody has to be the gramur & spellin police....

DD Gunz and gln1955 like this.
  16. Gully Foyle

Gully Foyle Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2014
    Near Boston
    I do what I can!

Truth be told, it's really because I wondered "what in the world is a bass painting effect?"

bfields likes this.
  17. rocu

rocu

Jan 28, 2015
    Missoula, MT
    Looks great. Did she do the headstock too?

18. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    There's gotta be a pedal for that.

19. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    That looks great! She might have a future in the custom bass biz!

20. Carl Hillman

Carl Hillman

Jan 1, 2010
    Is this guy your lead singer?

david-pumpkins-700x525.

Malak the Mad and jaybones like this.