1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Painting brass

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by MPU, Jan 24, 2012.

1. MPU

MPU

Sep 21, 2004
    Valkeala Finland
    Hi all,
    I'm trying to paint brass hardware black. The first try with satin alkyd based spray didn't work. The paint chipped very easily.
    Do brass need to be etched somehow or do I need to use etching primer? What kind of spray paints will stick well to brass? When I remover the scratched original paint it didn't look like it had anything else than just the black paint.
    Marko

2. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    I play tuba, and they paint those things with either gold or clear nitro lacquer.

if I were you, I would do a coat of clear lacquer, and then a coat or two of black nitro tint, and then a few coats of the clear over the top of it.

Nitro is tough, and it looks great.

you can get that stuff at reranch.com

3. Hi.

Powder-coating is one of the most durable options, and If You're handy (as I know You are), it's not as hard to DIY as one would think.

Unfortunately I don't have any black powder, just (hemi?) orange and medium blue ATM. If I had any, I'd send some to You.
    Go to Your nearest powder-coater and ask for a zip-bag of black (or any colour you wish) powder if You don't want them to paint your parts.

Regards
    Sam

4. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    Harbor freight also carries powder coating supplies, but I hear you should not use them in your kitchen stove