1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Painting Carpet?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by joel_troughton, Oct 20, 2006.

1. joel_troughton

joel_troughton

Oct 1, 2006
    Is it possible to paint onto speaker carpet successfully?
    Like, if I made a stencil, could I use, say, car aerosol paint to spray designs onto the carpet?

2. As a house painter I spend most of my time trying not to get paint on the carpet.
    I reckon paint would make the carpet hairs go clumpy.
    Maybe a dye would work better? Stick on the stencil & dab the dye on with a sponge.
    You might need to bleach it first if the carpet is black.

3. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Yes. It's done a lot to identify rigs for touring groups. I've used aerosol successfully. As Davidmurpht says it can clump up, so don't build it up too thick. One even shot. Practice with your stencil first.

4. Yup. +1 What he said.
    Practice first on something. Using spray paint you will get only one chance to make it look good. You can go back over it after the paint dries but cannot remove without smearing, :bawl: so don't rush it.
    Good luck. :D

5. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: GK, EMG and D'Addario
    I have done the bleach method manyo' times. You can also take a home hair trimmer ($19 anywhere) to the carpet to take it down to almost a flat surface. I have done that to most of my carpeted cabs and it worked great, it takes patience. You can't use the clippers after that but you get a good image. I did the whole cabinet, it looks way better than frayed carpet.

6. Brand it like a steer!:D

7. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    You may have better luck using a dye instead of a paint. Go to your local autoparts store and get a spray can of dye like they use on the vinyl and other interior areas of a car to do an interior color change and yes, practice on something disposable first.

8. Steve Clark

Steve Clark

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    I thought this would be a thread about redocorating Tom Bowlus' basement. :eek:

9. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Hey, now, you know it's a masterpiece as it stands! Why mess with greatness? ;) :p :D

10. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    Your basement?