Painting driver. Stupid?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jock, Jan 31, 2006.

1. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I´m building a cab at the moment and will use a 15 and a 6 in it. How does it affect the sound if I should paint the driver or just the dust cap in some silver/grey color like JBL. What kind of paint should i use? Spray paint for cars?
  2. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Not a stellar idea, IMHO. The paint will affect the driver mass, but also, its stiffness. Getting paint on the glue joints between the different parts -- cone, dust cap, etc. -- cold weaken them.
  3. nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    Not the greatest idea IMO.

I'm having trouble understanding why...:eyebrow:
  4. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Painting the drivers doesn't seem to have hurt Phil Jones 5" speakers....
  5. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    And Ashdown and Mark Bass...
    But those drivers are probably designed to be painted from the beginning.
  6. seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    It's one of the few tweaks you can do to a paper cone speaker. It will change the mass, and you could measure the cone as described in many speaker building books after you paint. Or just go with the original specs and guess for a higher mass.

It can be useful like for waterproofing.
    It can make a bad speaker good - or visa versa.
    Light even coats.
    Don't paint the surrounds.
    Give it a try, have some fun, post pics.

Some refs:
  7. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    If you do decide to do it, and I see no reason you couldn't, just make sure you use the right equipment.

Using rattle cans is a recipe for disaster IMO. A proper spray gun/airbrush setup is the only way to go. You will get a lighter, more even coat(s) which will help keep the weight of the paint to a minimum. Plus, there will be less chance of cone damage due to excess solvents from too much paint.

Good luck and post pics!
  8. msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    A friend of mine's mom did this to his Peavey 2x10 back in the mid-'90s. I'm not sure what paint she used but he had her do a bright yellow happy face on each cone, so it was applied with brushes. The cones held up to years of gigging afterward and if there was a change in sound, it either wasn't noticable or wasn't for the worse.
  9. Triclops

Triclops Guest

Jan 14, 2006
  10. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    So if I should make some kind of writing on the dustcap instead (like Epifani and Schroede), what kind of pen should I use?
  11. nemo

Mar 19, 2004
  12. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Yellow smilies would be so cool... But then i'd have to paint over my schroeder sigs =/
  13. in a word.... yes... (no offence). Anything you do to a cab will greatly affect the sound, this is amplified (pardon the pun) on the drivers. Ever put your have against one when you're playing? deadens the movement ey? yeah... so will paint. What you need to remember is a driver, be it paper or aliminium or something else interely, bends and vibrates, just as the top of an acoustic guitar does. There's a reason why up market acoustic makers don't usually paint their top woods. Just not good science. :)