Painting Grill Cloth?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Mar 2, 2010.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I have an LDS 15/6 with some silicon bleed thru. The silicon was applied to stop the cloth from vibrating at high volume.
    lds2-1-1.jpg
    I was thinking of painting the cloth black to make it a little more asthetically pleasing. (I'm also going to put a strap type handle on the top to make it a little less awkward to carry and replace the metal corners with black plastic ones.)

I assume the best way to paint this is with spray paint? Is there a particular brand known to be high quality? Gloss or flat black?

My two requirements is that it look good and that it is going to last (without little flakes of paint coming off).

Suggestions?

2. hrgiger

hrgiger

Jan 11, 2009
    Forget it. :crying:

There is nothing you can paint that with that will not come off and look 10x worse than it does already in about 1 week. Vinyl paints and plastic paints are a waste of money, they don't stick like you want. If you could find something it would be like that black bucket of stuff you use on your roof, and it would be so thick it would destroy your tone. And yes I have experience in this unfortunately. :ninja:

You'll probably just have to use some new darker grille cloth that won't show the silicone. :bassist:

I got my cloth from these guys (and I had to buy a lot for my big cab) and it was high quality.

http://www.mojotone.com/

That being said, it may be possible for you to save your existing cloth by cleaning off the silicone, and trying to re-create the positive effect it had for you with another method that doesn't bleed through to the front that way... :cool:

Oh and don't use the black plastic ones get the flat black metal ones (you need 2 leg ones for the front and 3 leg ones for the back) from the same place as the grille cloth...

3. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

If it is actual cloth, get some spray fabric dye at a crafts store.

4. Loel

Loel Blazin' Acadian

Oct 31, 2004
    I had Don @ LDS build a tl 606 design with
    kappalite 3015 full range,was gonna get Fender
    type cloth, went with Black & piping,blends in well,
    you could have Don make up another grill suited to
    your needs..

Attached Files:

5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    oofa. i don't know, dude...if you spray it, you'll still probably see the line. if i were you, i'd buy new cloth and get some felt to cover the wood. b-15's often have this problem and you just outline the grill frame with felt and it works like a charm.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021