1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Painting headstock, final stage?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Phamoushao, Dec 1, 2018.

1. Phamoushao

Phamoushao

Nov 11, 2018
    I have already put my decal on, what do I do now? I think I am going to put some clearcoat over it, but then do I sand/wetsand/polish? And if I do polish it, what do I polish the final coat of clear with? Hopefully it will get a nice gloss finish and visibly get rid of the decal’s edges.

Thanks!:hyper:

Attached Files:

G-Z likes this.
  2. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    I used a foam brush and applied three coats of clear overtop of the decal. I didn't sand or polish afterwards, but I put on a satin finish, rather than gloss. Within a foot, with the light reflecting just right, you can see the decal outline; farther away, and the decal edges blend right in.
    HPIM0107.JPG HPIM0108.JPG

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
    G-Z likes this.
  3. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    If you want a gloss finish on your headstock, how do you plan to get that gloss under your decal?

4. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    The decal gets sandwiched between gloss coats.

fhm555 likes this.
  5. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    I understand that, but if that decal is applied as OP said, it’s on top of scuffed paint, not gloss. Not to mention the line of trash caught under the “ender” portion of the decal.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
    sissy kathy likes this.