Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Painting In The Streets Of Boston

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bryan R. Tyler, May 14, 2003.

1. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I had a very fun experience this past sunday painting in the streets of Boston. A gallery I show at called the Copley Society is hosting an event called Fresh Paint Week, where they invite about 80 artists to paint out in whichever part of Boston they choose for a day, then return the "fresh" painting to the gallery, where they will be auctioned off for the remainder of the week. You had the choice of starting your work ahead of time, but like a lot of the other painters there, I chose to paint mine from start to finish on the spot.
    It was a beautiful day I enjoy doing urban landscapes, so I painted right at on the street corner of Newbury and Exeter, and I met some really nice people. It's nice to find a city that is so supportive of the arts; everyone was interested in what I was doing and very supportive. If anyone would like to check out the show, it's up until this Saturday night at the Copley Society in Boston. Some good stuff there.

Here's a bad image of the painting I did. Not great, but it gives an idea of how the painting looks.

[​IMG]

2. You paint? Cool.:cool:

I like how you've drawn/painted people with no faces - nice touch. It gives it an everyday sorta look - like it wasn't a specific place in time. How do you pick what you're drawing/painting when everything is moving? I'd find that really distracting.

Does the place you were painting really look like that? Is that Boston?

Anyway, great painting. Is there a site I can go to, to see the paintings? Where I am, it's kinda hard to get to Boston. :D

3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Thanks! Yeah, I tend to paint my figures with no specific face, or very little facial characteristics. It keeps people from focusing too much on the parts when the whole is what's important. You can see the paintings online at www.copleysociety.org , and yes, I painted tha in Boston and for the most part it looks like that (I changed a few things-an artist is nothing if not an interpreter). I'm pretty used to painting objects that will move on you by now; you just have to pick out what you want to do and keep painting it even after they're gone, which include everything from cars to shadows. I was in front of a TGI Friday's restaurant the whole time.

4. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Yup, it really is. As a matter-of-fact, I am the guy with his hands in his pockets on the back right corner/crosswalk. ;)

Bryan:
    You definately captured that area well. When I first looked, I was instantly transported there. Excellent work, Bryan. I've always liked to draw landscapes and homes, I actually took lessons for a couple years. Now, after reading this thread, I think I am going to break out the sketchpad. Its been a while. :)

5. when i look at that painting, i can feel the warmth coming up from the sun heating the pavement. excellent work, my man.:)