Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Painting "inlays"

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Corwin81, Jan 25, 2004.

1. Corwin81

Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    I've got a OLP MM3 with a maple fretboard. I've wanted a maple neck with black block inlays for a while, but don't want to do inlays, and I've heard rumors that some Geddy jazz basses have painted "inlays". If I were to do that to my OLP, what kind of paint would be recommended? for masking off the blocks, I'd use masking or drafter's tape.

2. Corwin81

Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    I saw those, but they don't have black

3. Corwin81

Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    anyone?

4. Version Luminol

Version Luminol

Dec 6, 2003
    Id also like to know, I just purchased an EDA-905 and want to put a design I made on my inlay(s).

5. If you intend this alteration to be permanent, you should have the painted blocks UNDER the top coat finish. That would require fret removal, sanding to radius, re-fretting and refinishing the neck.

The poly finish won't let consumer grade paints stick like they should. They would stay for awhile but would take a pretty tremendous beating during their life. I'd give them 6 months before getting so grungy you would wish you hadn't added them.

The better solution in my mind is to get some 2 mil pressure sensitive vinyl cut and apply the blocks on top of the clear coat. This isn't thick enough to interfere with playing and will hold up for quite some time before you might want to replace them. You can get these made at any 1 day sign shop like Signs Tomorrow or FastSigns.

6. Corwin81

Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    thanks Hambone! you da man! \m/

7. Hate to bring up an old topic, but...

I originally found this site and reinvigerated my love of bass while looking for inlay material that is actually a sticker. I want to put faux inlays on my Gibson to make it look better.

I looked up "Custom" "Inlay" and "Sticker" in various combinations and seemed to only get this thread.

Can anyone point me into the direction of a website that sells this kind of thing?

8. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    This is the url:
    http://www.fretware.com/catalog2/default.php
    but it doesn't work for me today.

9. That is exactly what I need! It'd save me the price of a new SG standard AND i'd get to keep my instrument that means alot to me.

Too bad it seems they are out of business :crying:

10. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    If you like that idea, I'd still take Hambone's advice and investigate what's available at a sign shop. There are some interesting adhesive vinyls available for signage beyond the solid colors- metallics and glitters, too.