1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Painting my bass????? Help

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by garretibanez, Apr 25, 2009.

1. garretibanez

garretibanez Guest

I have an Ibanez sr 505

I read i should sand it down with heavy grain then medium grain then light grain sandpaper, and i would like it to be painted white with a clear finish can somebody fill in the missing steps or make a simple steps on what i should do

2. The process of refinishing a bass is really too complex to try to explain it here. There are many websites and videos available. You may start at reranch.com or stewmac.com
    I do encourage you to learn as much as possible before you start. You can save a lot of time and frustration. I think it is great that you want to do this. Come back after you have read these sites and let us know how you are coming along.
    Rocky

3. garretibanez

garretibanez Guest

I have checked out there websites and i cannot find to much help but I am in no rush is the sandpaper thing right????

4. garretibanez

garretibanez Guest

but i am on a very very tight budget i think i will sand it then post another thread when thats completed for help

5. BillyRay

BillyRay Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2008
    Quebec
    Hope you have Popeye forearms or 200 years in front of you if you're thinking about stripping a poly finished Ibanez by hand.

But basically, yeah, pick rough sandpaper and go at it. Once everything is removed (or a bit before, to avoid gouging the wood), move up in grade once all the pevious sanding scratches have disappeared. Many go up to 400 grit before filling the pores of the body and continuing on.

Have a sanding block for flat surfaces.

6. garretibanez

garretibanez Guest

Hope you have Popeye forearms or 200 years in front of you

haha thats funny there is no poly finish its just stained i think you can chip it with your nail

7. If it is poly and you can find someone who has a heat gun, see if you can borrow it. I decided to try using one to strip the poly off of an '80s MIJ Jazz Bass Special body this afternoon and after using it I'm sticking with it. In an hour and fifteen minutes, including time to take pictures and refill the Mountain Dew glass a couple of times, the body went from gouged up to being ready for putty and hand sanding. I snapped off a bunch of pictures and thought I'd chronicle the refinish. Here are the pics from this afternoon, but no captions yet since I just finished and uploaded them.

http://www.silentcircus.com/refins/Jazz_Refin.htm

8. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    The heat gun is definitely the best and fastest way to strip those tough finishes. That looks like the same gun I have and the same sander.

You have to work outside unless you have fantastic exhaust ventilation. The fumes are toxic and will set off smoke detectors.

9. That's my gun for heating up my nitro RC cars. Perfect for stripping too. I think it's the HT1000 Wagner? Something like that.

And a HUGE +1 to working outside if you can. The vapors are noxious.

10. What type of finish are you thinking about? Oil? Clear coated natural? Solid color? If you just want to change the color, then your best choice may be to paint over the current finish, if it is in good shape. If it is in bad shape, scracthes, chips, dents, etc. then striping may be in order. Whether you use chemical stripper or heat gun, you need to be careful not to gouge the wood with a scraper.

11. Something I found today with the heat gun and poly finish is that you barely gave to touch the wood to strip the poly coat off. It's pretty much the same motion as shaving with little pressure on the body.