Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

painting my bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dadodetres, Dec 23, 2004.

1. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    ok, i have a fender jazz bass that i dont like the color, there is a way of painting it myself? or should i take it to a professional to do it? i want to paint it black, cause its beige

2. I would recomend taking it to a proffesional, ask at your local guitar shop.

Unless you have a dust free enviroment, top class spray equipment, patience and you're not worried about ruining the whole thing of course ;)

A complete new spray job should cost about $350-400 dollars (I'm not sure about that, I'm in England)

Hope this helps.

3. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY

im in uruguay :bassist:

4. Beige? Painted or natural wood?
    I would strongly suggest finding a professional (not just someone that knows how to paint, but paints guitars), and find out how much he would charge to do this. I know from experience that it is not very easy to remove paint and repaint an instrument. And please, don't even consider doing the neck finish yourself unless you're really good at refinishing.

I'm not trying to talk you out of painting it black, but keep in mind that glossy black will show smudges really bad. Everytime you touch it with a finger you'll have smudges you'll be polishing out, unless of course you paint the thing flat black..
    Good luck with your project..
    Mag...

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    If your bass is a fender standard jazz, made in mexico, a new paintjob done professionally will cost essentially the same as the bass itself, so it would be quite unwise.

6. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    actually its a 76 jazz, its a crime to change the original color, but i dont like it!

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    76, oye, hmm idk, if color is that important to you..

8. Rene

Rene

Mar 8, 2004
    Canada
    I would not refinish a 1976 Fender Jazz because you are loosing a minimum of a $2000.00 on the value of the bass. A refinished vintage guitars or bass is worth nothing according to any vintage broker.
    According to the "Blue Book of Guitar Values" 1995, a 1976
    Fender Jazz was worth $2100 US

René

9. If you don't like color, sell it and buy a new black bass... Its not worth ruining a vintage bass... Let someone else enjoy it in its original glory.

10. Taking the old finish off a bass is like skinning a skunk. Not an easy task and you're left with a serious mess. Then you need to apply the new finish. Many steps over several days and about $50 worth of materials. Not a practical project.

11. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002

My luthier has done some amazing paint jobs in a couple of my basses (and the total cost was about $40).

Es barato inclusive para Argentina.

12. drd07

drd07

Jan 19, 2003
    Like others have said, don't refinish it because you will ruin the value of the instrument. If you are set on refinishing, check out www.reranch.com. You can buy paints/finishing materials there and they give you detailed instructions on what to do. Good luck!

13. 0scar

0scar

Jul 11, 2003
    Since we're on the subject already...I have an old SX I rarely use, and I wanna do something fun with it. Would it work if I remove all the gloss finish, paint it, then glaze it with wood finish?

14. drd07

drd07

Jan 19, 2003
    Oscar
    -It would work, but the most difficult thing you would have to do would be to remove the poly finish. Poly is very difficult to sand completely off. You would probably have to use some chemical removers. Also, take into account that an SX bass is around 120 dollars, and that the cost of sand paper, chemical removers, paint, clear coat, etc. might add up around 50 - 70 dollars.
    FYI