1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Painting neck binding

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bassnyc1, Apr 28, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Hi all,

My Geddy Lee Jazz Bass has black neck binding. I wish it were white. If I carefully tape the neck, is there any paint that will cover the binding? I'm thinking of a glossy finish. Some have suggested nail polish(?) while others have said a glossy paint or maybe something special from a hobby shop?
    Maybe it won't work?

Please let me know your thoughts and thank you in advance for any advice you can give.

2. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Oh, it'll work. I wouldn't want to see it in six months though. Do you want it white bad enough to buy another neck, or pay someone to redo the binding?

Warhawk likes this.
  3. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    A two part epoxy paint of some kind, clearcoated over would last a good long while, but it's really hard to mask a clean paint line. You would have to use the 3m automotive plastic masking tape, regular painters tape won't work well. Rebinding is the best solution, but not something to attempt without some experience.

Warhawk likes this.
  4. If you really want a white binding get a new neck and put the original one away. That way you keep the value of the bass and get what you want.

Zane DeBord likes this.
  5. Thanks everyone for the replies. Yeah, a new neck would be the best solution but that particular neck has the ultra slim profile that no replacement neck out there has. Even Fender's USA Geddy Lee Jazz Bass that came out a couple of years ago has a thicker neck profile than the original GL jazz. It's my personal favorite. If I could find someone that could make it from scratch, maybe or find someone who could replace the binding but that's $$$

6. A stray thought - what about pinstriping tape? It can be applied with care and precision, and renewed whenever it wears.

Rather than mess up a neck that you like, might be worth a try. If it doesn't work out, you haven't lost much in terms of time or money.

7. IMG_3674.JPG IMG_3675.JPG IMG_3676.JPG
    Where can I get it?

Actually, I bought the body binding tape from jokomo inlays. They don't recommend it but I tried it out. Wasn't thick enough. Also, it covers up the fret ends. Don't know how long it'll last with some playing time.
    From a distance it looks alright but close up, not too good. If I feel like wasting another $30, I might try again.

8. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Obviously pricey, but Warmouth makes necks in various profiles, I'd be surprised if they don't make one that would work for you, and they can trick it out however you want, bound and blocked. The quality is very high, I've had one they built 30 years ago, absolutely no problems in all that time.

9. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Commercial User

Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
    You should just have a Luthier replace the binding. That would be less expensive than a new neck. It's not very difficult.

10. Would replacing the binding involve
    re fretting?

11. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Commercial User

Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
    A clever/careful Luthier can probably replace the binding without touching the frets. It depends how much the fret ends hang over, and how thick (wide) the binding is.

12. You can get pinstripe tape from an automotive paint supply store. It comes in different widths.

13. Thanks! I'll look into that.