1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Painting over a USA SUBs textured finish?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fourstringgirl, Jun 4, 2014.

1. Anybody try this? Thinking about buying a teal colored one which I always thought was a hideous color. I like the texture though. Wanted to rattle can it with flat black or even flat white.

Opinions?

Also, what is the tonal differences between the active and passive ones? I used to have an active one, will this one be markedly different?

2. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Leave it alone.

I'm told the Stingray pickup in the passive has the coils wired in series, rather than in parallel, which increases the impedance to the point necessary for a passive circuit. It results in a somewhat different basic sound.

I have over two dozen quality basses. A passive SLO S.U.B. in wine-vomit purple is my #1 recording bass. Fortunately, no audience has to look at it. ;)

LowEZ, SanDiegoHarry and Machiavelli like this.
  3. LOL thanks for the input Bongo! I don't think I've seen the wine-vomit purple.......or is it a really dingy burgundy?? Seems I recall a color similar to that one.

4. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Yes, like vomited burgundy.

SLO S.U.B.s had truly atrocious colors except for black and white. I think they did this on purpose. Painting over that textured finish will just make a bigger mess, though.

5. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    I can tell you, that finish does not like to come off.
    I just finished stripping mine and it was rough going. I put arm and tummy cuts in it while I had it stripped.

6. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I would have it sanded and repainted properly if I really hated the colour.

Based on the cost to do that, I would just buy a Regular Stingray in a colour I liked.

I wouldn't paint over the SUB finish, but maybe other TBers will chime in with success stories.

FWIW, they are great basses, unfortunately almost all of the colours are fugly.

7. Take a scotch brite pad and scuff the surface. Then paint and do a flat clear to protect it. Your bass, do whatever you want to it. Just do it the right way.

fourstringgirl likes this.
  8. I think I'm going to either wait for a black one to surface somewhere, buy a walnut stain SBMM SUB, or go all in and get a real Stingray Stealth Black.....gah!

I think it's a tad overpriced at the pawn shop at $750. It is passive. Hasn't been beaten up too bad either. That teal color though.....gag.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2014
  9. You have a thread with pics??

10. handofseven

handofseven Soaking up the cathode rays...

Mar 23, 2010
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    IMO, $750 for a SUB is WAY overpriced. You shouldn't have to cough up more than about $500 SHIPPED, depending on condition and of course, colour. ;)

fourstringgirl and SanDiegoHarry like this.
  11. Damn thats so high for a sub, I have gotten trashed ones for $300 and nice ones for $400. I have also bought real USA rays for $700 s $750 for a sub is high.

12. I agree. They were a steal back in the day at $650 new. This one is local so no shipping, but $750 is a lot much for a bass that I'm not 100% thrilled with anyway. If it weren't so god-awful ugly I would have already snatched it up.

13. Watched one on eBay a couple weeks ago, a black active one in very good condition, guy was asking $850 PLUS shipping! Uh, no.

14. Thats crazy a local one is 450 with a hardcase. Idk I was a kiddo when these came out new , wasnt playing bass back then but I know EBMM lost money on them they were that good of a deal but there not worth the price of what a real ray goes for used. I could see a super clean white one with hardcase grabbin $600/

15. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    I'm still working on it.
    I'll start one soon when I have enough progress and photos. It's a slow project. I'm giving it a complete fret job too.
    Here is where I am at now. The Poplar looks a lot nicer than I thought it would.
    photo 1 (2).JPG photo 2 (2).JPG

16. That does look nice! Are you going with a transparent?? That piece of wood could pull it off nicely.

Is that remnants of the old paint inside the cavities?

Those cuts look superb, btw....

17. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    Thanks,
    I screw the neck on and feel it and keep cutting until it felt nice playing everywhere. The bass was fairly light for a Ray at 9 pounds stock. The body before stripping and cutting weighed 4 3/4 pounds, it's just under 4 1/4 now. Using a thin nitro paint job and some hipshot ultra lights I'm hoping to have a 8-8 1/4 pound 2 band Ray that is comfortable to play.
    I'm thinking of using a black die and then shooting a solid black around the edges like a black burst. If the die doesn't look good I'll just shoot it with black nitro with a satin clear.

18. boristhespider7

boristhespider7

Jan 27, 2008
    UK
    Used to have a US SUB stingray and did a rattle can job over mine after i'd dinked it once (i found the poplar body fairly soft...its dinks fairly easy). You can sand the texture off but it will take you a lot of hard work! Looked alright in the end, did it a shade of Ford Red. Also changed the horrible aluminum pick guard to a black 3 ply one.

19. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    For the record, I got my wine-vomit purple one for $329 NEW at GC when they mercifully dumped the color. Dog-gagging hideousness aside, it is a remarkable recording bass, with the right strings -- and you know how serious I am about recording basses. Yours may of course be entirely different.

Once again, buy what you're happy with up front, and don't try to dig yourself out of a hole and merely destroy the value of the instrument by modding it.

20. It's at a pawn shop and they won't come down on it. And you're right, it's not exactly what I'm looking for anyway. A local GC has a used walnut satin SUB for $199. They have it rated as 'great' condition. I played a new one at a different GC a couple weeks ago when I bought my new combo amp and really liked the feel of it. I may run up there next week and pick it up if it's still there. It will satisfy my Stingray GAS for a time while I save my pennies for a real one. That silver sparkle paint job they've got going is cool as hell. Or the stealth black one........ :)