1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Painting Pickguards?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Masamax, Aug 9, 2003.

1. I have decided I want to paint my black pickguard with a white design. What I am wondering is what is the best paint to use for this. I need something that you can do detailed designs with but will hold to the plastic and be fairly resiliant to picking (Although I don't think I ever have actually touched the pickguard with a pick before ;) )

Any suggestions?

2. I sprayed my white one blackj with standard spray paint. It doesn't look perfect but it worked. The pick is leaving marks in it but I don't see any white coming through. Covering a black one with white may be another story though, good luck-

3. hibeam

hibeam

Oct 16, 2002
    USA
    If I wanted to paint a black pickguard white, I would want to mask the sides if it was a layered design and I wanted to preserve it. Also do your other basic painting procedures(make sure the surface is clean, etc). If it was going to be abused even a little bit (it is a pickguard, after all) I'd want to do several coats of spray paint with a hard finish over it too, like polyurethane spray, or something.

never having done this, take my advice for what its worth.

4. that's a great idea