Painting Pickguards?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Masamax, Aug 9, 2003.

1. I have decided I want to paint my black pickguard with a white design. What I am wondering is what is the best paint to use for this. I need something that you can do detailed designs with but will hold to the plastic and be fairly resiliant to picking (Although I don't think I ever have actually touched the pickguard with a pick before ;) )

Any suggestions?
  2. I sprayed my white one blackj with standard spray paint. It doesn't look perfect but it worked. The pick is leaving marks in it but I don't see any white coming through. Covering a black one with white may be another story though, good luck-
  3. hibeam

Oct 16, 2002
    If I wanted to paint a black pickguard white, I would want to mask the sides if it was a layered design and I wanted to preserve it. Also do your other basic painting procedures(make sure the surface is clean, etc). If it was going to be abused even a little bit (it is a pickguard, after all) I'd want to do several coats of spray paint with a hard finish over it too, like polyurethane spray, or something.

never having done this, take my advice for what its worth.