Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Painting Pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bassist 4 life, Oct 24, 2005.

1. Anyone tried this ? I am getting new knobs that glow in the dark and im getting new pickups, would painting the pickups in glow int he dark paint be ok? will it screw up the pickups??

2. spidersbass

spidersbass

Nov 29, 2004
    Downtown L.A.
    that idea makes me wanna pull out my glow sticks and go raving :hyper:

3. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    I'm guessing it would be fine. I would think that the paint would probably rub off fairly quickly though.

4. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    If they are covered pickups, like EMGs or Bartolinis, I would say go to town. If they are regular Fender type pickups with exposed pole pieces, you might want to consider removing the pickup covers, painting them, and putting them back on.

5. ganga

ganga

Jul 14, 2005
    +1, EOD. :smug:

6. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    +1 to what everyone else says.

Also, If you want to paint your pickups, use krylon Fusion spraypaint as a base layer. It will adhere to hard and soft plastics and your glow in the dark paint should adhere to it. If you just useglow in the dark paint directly on the plastic, it will scrape off easily. You may even want to put a matte clearcoat over the glow in the dark layer to keep it from scratching off.

7. I have no experience whatso ever with pickups, so what im asking is how do i detach the pickup from its cover? I have never seen a pickup without its cover does anybody have a pic? oh and heres the pickup I'm taking, im guessing its covered like what superduck said right? (Dimarzio Will Power Pickups0

[​IMG]

Thank You

p.s. sorry im a huge pickup n00b.

8. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Hey, we're all newbies at some point.

I've had some pickups where the covers just slide right off after you've taken off the mounting screws, and I've had some where they were stuck to the pickups via the sealing wax/whatever it is. Both of those cases were jazz bass pickups.

For yours, though, you can probably just go ahead and paint them. If you're not going to take them out of the bass first (which you might want to consider), just be really careful not to get any on your bass.

9. Oh dont worry, theyre still not in my bass because i still didnt get them, im ordering htem soon :p