Painting Soapbar Pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Pearl_jammin, Apr 13, 2004.

1. I just posted this over on the Musicianforums but got little useful advice (big suprise :rolleyes: ) so if any of you could help -

I really like the look of the Voodoo series Gibsons with the red pickups and black bodies, so do you think I could (spray?) paint my soapbars on my warwick rockbass?
    I know that on the Voodoos its just the pickup cover (like those on P-bass/Jazz-pickups) that is coloured, so thats why I'm sceptical it will work on a soap bar. Would it effect the sound significantly?
    Thanks for any help
  2. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    For what it's worth:

I experiment before I pretty much do anything. You might land some cheap pups and mess with them. Off the cuff I'd say it unlikey painting a pup would affect sound but if the paint contained metallic properties (aluminum oxide maybe - whatever or had some polarity of significance to it) I wouldn't think it would matter.

I also pretty much avoid at all cost making any permanent changes to a bass, even a cheap one.
  3. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Where are the pickups?!

Pickups can be painted. Don't know how, but I assume anything airbrushed or spraypainted should be fine as long as you don't try a metallica flake.
  4. The prevouis owner of my current 4 string bass spray painted the body, and in the process covered the pickups a little bit. I don't know thats its enough paint to count, but it doesen't seem to effect the sound at all. I wouldn't recommend painting a bass with exposed poles or anything, but I imagine it wouldn't hurt soapbar pickups. Though, like everybody said, you don't want to wreck a nice bass.