Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Painting Soapbar Pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Pearl_jammin, Apr 13, 2004.

1. I just posted this over on the Musicianforums but got little useful advice (big suprise :rolleyes: ) so if any of you could help -

I really like the look of the Voodoo series Gibsons with the red pickups and black bodies, so do you think I could (spray?) paint my soapbars on my warwick rockbass?
    I know that on the Voodoos its just the pickup cover (like those on P-bass/Jazz-pickups) that is coloured, so thats why I'm sceptical it will work on a soap bar. Would it effect the sound significantly?
    Thanks for any help

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    For what it's worth:

I experiment before I pretty much do anything. You might land some cheap pups and mess with them. Off the cuff I'd say it unlikey painting a pup would affect sound but if the paint contained metallic properties (aluminum oxide maybe - whatever or had some polarity of significance to it) I wouldn't think it would matter.

I also pretty much avoid at all cost making any permanent changes to a bass, even a cheap one.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    [​IMG]
    Where are the pickups?!

Pickups can be painted. Don't know how, but I assume anything airbrushed or spraypainted should be fine as long as you don't try a metallica flake.

4. The prevouis owner of my current 4 string bass spray painted the body, and in the process covered the pickups a little bit. I don't know thats its enough paint to count, but it doesen't seem to effect the sound at all. I wouldn't recommend painting a bass with exposed poles or anything, but I imagine it wouldn't hurt soapbar pickups. Though, like everybody said, you don't want to wreck a nice bass.