1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Painting speaker cab mesh

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jacostilllives, Mar 24, 2006.

1. jacostilllives

jacostilllives

May 4, 2004
    has anyone done this? How the heck do you do it? Do you have to take the mesh off first? I think it would be cool to paint it something crazy. Any help would be appriciated thanks!

2. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I did it to a speaker grill once. Removed the grill, scrubbed it clean and spray painted it with barbecue paint. Turned out fine.

3. Keeaumoku

Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    That would be a good idea... ;)

4. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    I just removed-cleaned and painted, some old goliath II cab grills. My cabs turned out looking, 10 years younger. (hint) spray the grills from "all angles", for good coverage.

5. I read somewhere that the cloth on the Ampegs are held in place with velcro. Just run a butter knife between the frame and the mesh and you should be able to break the bond.

Maybe it's the same for your cab.

6. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    If the grill is cloth you don't want to paint it. It'll clog the pores and harm your sound. Painting is for metal grills.

7. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    if you paint it, be prepared to keep painting it every once in awhile. the factory finishes are solid and durable. home-jobbies tend to scratch and chip easily and then look real crappy. a layer of clearcoat on the top is essential.

8. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Grilles are often coated with rubberized paint or powdercoated. Neither of those treatments easily scratch or flake.