1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Painting the Pole pieces...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Zitch, Oct 2, 2010.

1. Zitch

Zitch

May 12, 2010
    Akron, Oh
    This might be a dumb question but im going to risk it, is it ok to paint the pole pieces of a MM humbucker, say black. Will the paint affect the sound and sustain. I only ask cause im curious. Thank you for any input.

2. Nope.

It won't matter.

3. FWIW you might want to try black electrical tape first. It matched the finish of the p'ups on my RBX375 and it's easily reversible. No ill effects on performance.

100_0198.jpg

Dave

4. Sorry, but I've always found it hilarious to see people putting tape on their pickups.
    It looks so stupid.

Paint is definitely a better way to go here.

5. Zitch

Zitch

May 12, 2010
    Akron, Oh
    Thanks for the input, think paint is the way to go.

6. line6, that was quite blunt and uncalled for.

one alternative would be to pop the pickup out of its cover, put the tape on the polepieces and put it back into the cover. It will be cleaner than tape on top of the cover.

7. Zitch

Zitch

May 12, 2010
    Akron, Oh
    Another good suggestion

8. I said sorry, didn't I?:hyper:

Well, I don't mean to offend, but that's how I feel when I see tape over pickups.

9. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Normally no it wont change the sound or output. However when I used car touch up paint pen (black) to color the stock MM type pup on the Traben Array Attack I used to have it did cause a descrease in treble. That was a welcome thing in its case since the stock mm type pup was very much overly trebly. Dunno why it decreased treble, wasnt supposed to, but it did.

10. Batmensch

Batmensch

Jul 4, 2010
    Media, PA.
    Perhaps there was some kind of metallic component in the paint?

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 25, 2021