1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

painting tuning knobs on a fender

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Thwing, Mar 16, 2009.

1. Thwing

Thwing

Sep 13, 2007
    Bossier City
    i was looking at painting the tuning knobs on my fender p bass because i think it would make my axe look freakn' sweet. im sure im not the only one that has thought of this. so any insight would help.

the tuning knobs are the standard fender chrome that come on the american standard basses. the color that i was thinking about painting them was either gloss or flat black because my P is white with the black pickguard(it just goes with the theme). does anyone have a experience doing this or had it done before, is it worth it, will it mess up anything (its not worth destroying my P bass at all)

-thanks

2. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    i wouldn't recommend it. seems to me to just be asking for trouble. getting paint in the gears and whatnot...
    just buy black tuners.

3. why not buy a set of black chrome tuners? All the aftermarket companies make them...

4. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    paint won't stick that well to chrome, so painted keys will start to peel, flake, and look like ass in short order.

5. No offense, but i literally laughed out loud when i saw the title of this thread. This has got to be the most half @$$3d idea i have ever heard.

Why not just buy black tuners?
    Just about all the tuners on the market today are available in chrome, black, and gold.

6. Thwing

Thwing

Sep 13, 2007
    Bossier City
    i am going to hafta buy some black tuners. but i was really wanting to stay with the stock fenders and fender dosent make black tuners. but i guess ill just buy some black hipshots.

7. zagnut

zagnut

Jan 4, 2009
    Back in Detroit
    This man is correct, I found out the hard way. No matter how well I prepped mine, used adhesion promoter, paint just wont stick to the chrome. Even tried epoxy appliance paint. I finally decided on powder coating. Only cost me $20 to have all this powder coated -

8. olistorck

olistorck

Sep 16, 2007
    oviedo,spain
    Is that a plywood bass ??? Yes it is...

9. zagnut

zagnut

Jan 4, 2009
    Back in Detroit
    Yup, she's a cheapy. But has strong sentimental value.

10. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    los angeles
    fender makes black tuners.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    Interesting way to avoid causing offense.

12. zagnut

zagnut

Jan 4, 2009
    Back in Detroit
    Everybody makes black tuners, and gold. That was my problem, black, gold and silver are the only ones available. In my case, and probably the OP's, the tuners were fine and in good condition. I couldn't justify spending about $100 on new tuners when I didn't need them and still have a color that everybody else had. Solution, look for someplace that does powder coating.

OP, a quick search turned up quite a few places in your area that do powder coating -
    http://www.yellowbook.com/yellow-pages/?what=Powder+coating&who=&where=Bossier+City%2C+LA

http://www.yellowpages.com/Bossier-City-LA/Powder-Coating

Just makes sure that things like screw holes, gears, anything that connects closely to something else, etc don't get powder coated.

13. first you scratch out the finish on the tuner you can do this using a sand paper or something. then you paint it and then you'd realize its a bad idea but its too later. so you can just buy black tuners :)

14. zagnut

zagnut

Jan 4, 2009
    Back in Detroit
    Yup, it will still flake off. I learned that the hard way. I even tried some epoxy paint, still flaked off. So I sent them off for powder. Cheap and durable as hell.