Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Painting your bass (2nd Post)

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by noweapon, Nov 7, 2000.

1. noweapon

noweapon

Feb 10, 2000
    The last time I posted this thread it vanished within 5 minutes....here it is again....

Have any of you ever painted your bass?? I know it sounds kind of crazy but I'm am thinking of painting my trusty old Ibanez SG406. I'm sick of black...Everybody's axe's in the band are black. I was just wondering if any of you have ever done this and what was your experience with it....

2. noweapon

noweapon

Feb 10, 2000
    Oh....Thats cool...I just didn't know It moved there..I was never notified. Would this be considered a setup though??...If so I'm sorry for posting it here.

3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Hey, Noweapon. you have the power to delete this thread if you want to. Just click on the "delete" link and check the delete box and submit.

Will C.:cool:

4. I just finished refinishing my Fernandes P bass. It was originally white but I stripped the paint off with a paint stripper(not to be confused with paint thinner.) and than sanded down the clear protective finish that was under that. Than I used a wood conditioner which darkened the wood a little bit, and then I put on 5 coats of clear polyurethane and it looks really great. I also carved a new pickguard out of mahogany and polyurethaned that. It looks really great, all of my friends and my parents and grandparents were totally blown away by how good it came out looking. I took some pics. of it and I am gunna try and have those up as soon as possible.

If you know what you want to do to it and get the right materials, than I would say go for it. If I were you I would strip it down to its bare natural wood, than use a primer, and a 1 coat black polyurethane finish.(it is mostly used on boats, try a marine store)

5. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    Hey,

I just refinished my Washburn B-15 last week. The Bass was white and about 10 years old, so it turned yellow with the time and I had to sand it and I simply put one coat of stain. This gives the Bass a natural "dirty" wood look. The Bass is so beautiful that I can not sleep since last week !!!! I guess I will have to choose soon between the wife and the Bass !!!!

I will try to post a picture here soon!!!

Turlu

6. I'm going to move this ont to Setup now. Sorry for not informing you before, noweapon. I tried to e-mail you afterwards but I was unable to.

If you ever can't find one of your threads, do a "search all posts" on yourself and you'll see every thread you've posted.

Also, feel free to fill out your profile. It helps everyone to know a little bit about each other!

7. JohnL

JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    Stingray, maybe we should rename it "Setup, Maintenance, and Repair", or something like that. I know I have posted some things that I know now probably belonged under "Setup", but I guess I thought when I first came in that "Setup" was for truss rod and bridge adjustments, intonation, etc.

8. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    John, I know where you are coming from. There seems to be a certain amount of overlap between forums. I guess it would be impossible to come up with an all encompassing set of guidelines as to what should go where. An ongoing discussion like the marijuana issue or some of the other marathons that we all seem to enjoy certainly should be in the proper place but those subjects that are not likely to grow into multi-page discussions might be better served if they were just left where they are.

Moderators, please take note: This shouldn't be taken as a complaint, merely a suggestion. I think ALL of the moderators are doing a great job.

Pkr2

9. http://home.flash.net/~guitars/index.htm sells products for refinishing and also has great step by step instructions.
    also Carvin sells oils and paint i believe, their website might have some good info.

I'm learning about this too as I am considering buying a Carvin kit bass which will need finishing.