Painting your bass

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Temjin, Aug 10, 2002.

1. Temjin

Aug 10, 2002
    I want to paint my bass a different color. I'm pretty handy and I was wondering what precautions and what kind of materials I need (type of paint, spray paint or can, etc.). What do I need to do this?
  2. Temjin, your question, though short and simple, doesn't have a simple answer. There are easily a half dozen methods of prep and application that can be employed. Then there's the paint itself - probably 3 or 4 choices there. The choice for each of these would be based on what you've got now and what you want it to look like in the end. So, we could give you lots of ideas and make your head swim but in the end, you'll have more to think about than just the shade of color.

That said, there are some simple points that will make your project a success. First - Study and learn the different products that are available. Learn about compatibilities and application methods. I'll give you a couple of links that have a lot of info. Second - take your time. Several of the possible methods require it and you shouldn't get in a rush. Third - Keep things clean. Don't assume that since you can't see something on a prepared body that there isn't anything there to ruin your results. Use any one or several of the fluids out there designed to clean and degrease prepped surfaces.

And Fourth - Show us pics! We'd love to see the results!

For a complete system of color in cans with lots of application info and pics:

For personal experiences, tips, tricks, and lotsa more info:
  3. Does it cost a lot to get a professional to do it for you? Ive got an old marlin sidewinder which is natural finish (although it doesn't look great) and when i get some spare cash give it a new look!!