Paints for a custom pickguard painting?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Masamax, Aug 13, 2003.

1. What kind of paints would work best for a custom pickguard painting. This would be a fairly intracite multi-colour design, so spraypaint is out of the question. Something that can be applied with a brush would be prefered.
  2. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Having been an avid model-maker for years, the best advice I can give you is to go to a good hobby store and check out the various brands of hobby paint. As long as you are using plastic as the guard's material, you should find a very large selection of colors and finishes. Model car paints are especially cool these days. Look for Testor, Tamiya, Floquil, and other similar brands
  3. But will these hold up not only over time but to at least the occasional scratch from a pick (to date I have not done that once with my current bass).
  4. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    How well the enamel holds up depends both on the paint iself, and on its bond to the plastic that you are painting.

How about the the possibility of painting the graphic on a thin sheet, then overlaying it with another clear plastic sheet for protection (a pickguard-guard)?
  5. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Considering the fact that paint, enamel, etc., becomes a "layer" of the pickguard as opposed to a component (i.e., the color isn't all the way through), I'd say that virtually ANY coating you put on a pickguard will likely chip away eventually, depending upon how much contact you make with the guard.

Hell, imagine a painted pickguard on one of Vic Wooten's Fodera's! :eek:
  6. The main part of the image will be directly under the area between the neck and the single humbucker (SR5). It's a rose so...