Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Paintwork done. black is a BEAR!!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by slugworth, Feb 22, 2006.

1. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    I finally finished painting this body. It was bare wood. I followed the reranch instructions sealing the wood with 2 cans of lacquer sanding sealer, 30 coats of Valspar black lacquer and 9 coats of clear, sanding with up to 2000 grit between coats. Final buffing was done with a foam pad on a variable speed pneumatic die grinder with 2 grades of 3M compound. I don't know if the Valspar (Lowe's) rattle cans were nitro or acrylic, but it flowed ok, and dried pretty quick during our latest SoCal heatwave. The entire process took about 3 1/2 weeks. Black is a B***H!!!

Slug

2. Greenman

Greenman

Dec 17, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    Looks good. Any pics of the front?

3. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    >>> Here ya go.

4. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    It's gonna get a black pickguard, gold hipshot bridge, tuners, and knobs, twin Bart W4 soapbars, ( I got the only set Bartolini had in stock) Maple neck with rosewood fingerboard, and gold SIMS side LED's. It'll probably be complete in 2 1/2 months or so.

Havin fun..

Slug

5. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    I had never painted a guitar before, so the learning curve was steep, especially with black. There were several unplanned detours. I got a nasty solvent pop one day when the temperature dropped and the humidity rose, had a couple of sand thru's and a some dust contamination which caused various levels of frustration and delays...

Slug

6. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    I probably went through 22 rattle cans of sealer, color, and clear, and 20 packs of sandpaper from 220 to 2000. Live and learn...

Slug

7. Scott French

Scott French Dude Supporting Member

May 12, 2004
    Grass Valley, CA
    Re-ranch says to sand up to 2000 between coats? Can anyone chime in on this being a standard for this type of finish? I've done nitro and polyester... I sand with 220 or 320 between days (I never sand between coats, spraying them too close together for it matter much). I'm just curious how each coat could stick to the next (or even exist with all that sanding) when it’s up to such a fine sheen.

8. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    >>> I didn't buy anything from Reranch. All the aerosols came from Lowe's. It's made by Valspar and runs $3.99 for an 11 oz can. If found that last oz. or so is pretty much unuseable, as it just spits and spatters. I might have $150 tops into sealers, paints, sandpaper, and buffing materials of which some was wasted due to inexperience & misfortune. I could have just taken it to my buddy's body shop and had it shot with PPG polyurethane, but that wouldn't have been any fun!!! If I ever do another one, it will certainly go quicker and cost much less. The only way to learn is by doing; making mistakes and learning from them. When I finally get this thing together, it will be something very personal I can be proud of.

Cheers,
    Slug

9. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    >>> My bad. I only sanded that fine during the clear coat process, and yes, with lacquer, each subsequent coat melts into the prior coat. That's the beauty of lacquer.

Slug

10. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    BTW, Reranch says go with 800 between coats. I went as high as 1500 with no adhesion problems, as black shows every single little high spot, goober, dust speck, orange peel, and
    sanding scratch.

Slug

11. Scott French

May 12, 2004
    Grass Valley, CA
    Are you buffing between coats, Hambone?! :eek:

Of course you have to sand the finish into the high grits after the finish is cured and you want to get it glossy. I was only talking about between coat sanding. I even think 800 is too high. You're not going to see problems right away. It will be down the line as things gas off further or you bump the instrument into something.

12. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    I didn't think you could buff between coats??? I was told that the 3M stuff probably contains some silicone???? Hambone???

Thx

Slug

13. Scott French

May 12, 2004
    Grass Valley, CA
    The 3M polishing stuff that I use after buffing has no silicone and is nitro safe. I was only joking about buffing between coats.

14. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    >>> I didn't seem to encounter any problems with sanding up to 1500 between coats of black, but then again, I wasn't on a budget or specific timetable.

Slug

15. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    >>>> To be honest, I don't really know if the Valspar lacquer is acrylic or nitro. I looked at the product MSDS but couldn't really tell as I'm not a chemist. It's probably acrylic lacquer, which from what I've been told contains placticizers which are supposed to improve consistency and dry times and somewhat inhibit shrinkage(?)

16. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    >>>> Words to live by. Thanks 'Bone

Cheers,
    Slug

17. Scott French

May 12, 2004
    Grass Valley, CA
    I guess it depends on where you're working and what kind of contamination you might be dealing with. I've never sanded a color coat. Just layed it down on a reasonably flat surface then cleared over it the same day. I've done black before and it came out awesome. 2 coats of sealer, 2 coats of black, then 5 clear coats. Wait a day, level sand with 320, 5 more top coats. Two weeks later finish sand then buff. That's two spray days, two weeks curing, and one level sand/buff day.

18. JSPguitars

JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    Reading this is giving me a headache...:rolleyes:

19. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    >>>> It all depends on 3 things: Equipment, materials, & ability. I see autobody guys spray 2/3rds of a car and deliver it before the end of the day. Time is money for these guys, and paint manufacturers are making stuff that is easier, faster, and therefore more profitable.

20. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    >>> Maybe it's the paint fumes???