1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

pair of 210 cabs, stacked vertically

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rugaar, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Rugaar

Rugaar

Apr 11, 2007
    wisconsin
    Anyone run a rig like this? I'm happy with my current 212 cab but this is something I've been interested in trying out. Pics and comments are welcome.

2. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Lot's of Acme B2 users have been doing this for quite a while (as I did a number of years ago), and the new TC Electronics cabs are designed to be vertically stacked.

The positive: small footprint, a little better off axis dispersion than a 410 (although I've never really noticed that either on stage or out in the room), and, for some, they like that speaker right up by their ear.

The negative: Two cabs to schlep, and for some like me, I can't stand a speaker right up at my ear!

I've moved to one of the new high powered 4ohm 212's for most of my gigs. You get the advantages of the vertical thing (nice small footprint, the off axis response thing, and the top speaker being in the sweet spot for monitoring IMO), and you get almost the wump of 2 x 210 or a 410 in a much smaller footprint.

The Genz Neo212, the TecAmp 212's and Jorg Schroeders just released UA212 (I MUST get one of those) are great example of cabs that come in 4ohms, can handle a lot of power, and have that nice vertical configuration that many dig in a single cab that can do a relatively loud gig!

3. CH Design

CH Design Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2007
    Ottawa, ON
    I'll apologize for the derail before I even ask the question ...
    KJung, what is the Schroeder UA212? I just had a look on his site and it doesn't mention anything about it.

4. CElton

CElton I'm a new note finder...

Both 12's are front firing rather than the folded design. Supposedly a more even voicing rather than the heavy mids. Check out the Schroeder thread, I believe there is mention of it in there recently.

5. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

+1 There's a picture of an earlier version of this cab in the 'custom' section of Jorg's site. It's basically the 212 version of the 115L+. It spec's out, I believe, at around 16 by 15 by 26, and 36 pounds!

6. bassbrock

bassbrock

Feb 20, 2007
    Callahan, FL
    [​IMG]

7. jjk2007

jjk2007

Apr 16, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Endorsing Artist: DNA Bass Systems
    I run my two EA NL-210's vertically (when necessary) and I love it. For me, I like having a speaker up closer to my ears and I don't have to crank the volume to hear what's going on. (Not that cranking it up is a bad thing) :D