1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pair of 2x10's vs. solo 4x10 - expectations

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by groove pump, Jun 11, 2007.

1. groove pump

groove pump

Oct 24, 2006
    Yep, the ol' SWR Wkmn's 4x10 doesn't fit in the Corolla and I'm thinking of using a pair of Wkmn's 2x10's instead. Wanted to see if anybody has done that sort of a swap with success or failure. Mostly asking for feedback because I wouldn't know how this change would work out until after I got it and did battle with my two guitar heros at a gig.

Still using an SM-400 to drive the cabs, but may up the wattage, too. Thanks for any thoughts, etc.

2. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Aside from getting more wattage like u said (given the 410 was 8ohms and each 210 is 8 ohms), you'll have great portability. You'll have the option of taking one 210 for rehearsahl or a smaller gig or venue and take both when needed.

3. groove pump

groove pump

Oct 24, 2006
    Thanks.

The portability is a must, but I'm also looking for any observations in the difference in efficiency (guess I should have titled the thread differently). Some guys have reasoned that a pair of 2x10's will throw more sound at lower volume (given the same resistance and amp settings).

I'm under the impression that the 4x10 will rule in the realm of low and low-mid freq's at gig volume. Does sound get lost inside that larger cab?

4. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    If the drivers, impedance load, box tuning and total cabinet volume of the two options is the same the low frequency output will be identical. However, two 2x10s allows one to vertically align the drivers. In the midrange that gives greatly improved horizontal dispersion, vertical pattern control and frequency response, and you can hear it better too. Also, most 2x10s have more cabinet volume per driver than equivalent 4x10s, and that gives increased bass response.

5. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    +1 to what bill said.

I've noticed that 2x10's can sound deeper. Why I get knocked for having a sealed 2x10 i dont get. It mics better than their dual ported super-dooper-special-issue-4x10.

:D

6. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    I've come around full circle on the portability issue. Yes, if you have 2 210s, you have the option of only using one of them. But they will probably be 8-ohm 210s, and to get enough volume out of one of them to stand up your tone in an amplified band, you have to throw a pretty big amp at it.

So if you are like me, you always use both of your smaller cabs. They are each lighter than the 410, but you can get the 410 in one trip and probably have to go twice for the small cabs. So the benefit is questionable there.

Ultimately I still think a 4 ohm 410 is the best all-purpose gigging cab, and I have come to use mine that way while leaving my 210/112 small cabinet tandem at the rehearsal space mostly. As for fitting into your Corolla - well, that is quite a small car for a bass player. I don't know what more to say there.

7. Bryan316

Bryan316 Inactive

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit
    More trips usually haven't been that bad, cuz I can make it up stairs or onto stages with a 210 by myself. Hoisting a 410 onto a stage is usually quite a struggle. I usually have plenty of time for one more run back to the car for the next cab anyways, so time isn't an issue.

8. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    That certainly agrees with my experience comparing a 4 ohm Eden 410XLT with 2x 8 ohm Eden XLTs. Both setups resulted in identical drivers, identical impedance etc. The 2x210 setup had more lows.

And I'd also recommend a "Tower of 10's". Dispersion is better, and the cab is closer to your ears so you hear it better.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 28, 2021