Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pair with a Schroeder Mini 12?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Juneau, Apr 20, 2005.

1. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Hey guys, just kinda getting interested in thinking about a power amp/cab and moving away from my Combo, mostly due to the Schroeder cab sound being the one Im after. I asked Jorg as well and still waiting to hear back from him on his thoughts, but was just wondering, what would be a good pre/power head to put with this little cab?

I dont know the ratings on it (and probably wouldnt much know what to do with the numbers if I did have them). I know a couple of you guys have the Mini 12's already, so thought Id see what you thought would be a good match to this cab? Oh, I do like a lot of treble, would I be better off with one of the 10 configs? I still want good bass response, but I tend to dig a very bright sound.

I play mostly funk, jazz, R&B, that kinda thing and prefer a versatile option thats not too hi-fi sounding. For example, I went with an Ampeg B-100R instead of the BA models because I prefered the more vintage tone if that helps at all.

I appreciate any feedback you guys might have on that. Im still a long ways off from being able to afford anything right now, but Id like to get some ideas of things to check out and get some prices in my head as well.

Thanks much!

2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Juneau:

How much do you want to spend, and how much are you willing to lug (weight-wise)? Have you listened to all the clips at Basstasters? While some of them might not give you exactly the sound you will hear when it's actually in your rig, for the most part the clips are pretty close, and at least give you an idea of the general flavor of a given preamp. Once you have settled on a pre, then it becomes a matter of budget and weight with regard to the power amp. In general, my recommendations are that if you want a lightweight amp, go for a Stewart World 2.1, and if weight is not an issue (and you want the best sonic performance), I somewhat prefer the Crest CA9. Now, both of these are way more power than you would need for one Schroeder Mini 12, but if you buy more amp than you need, you'll have more flexibility to drive more/larger cabs later. If you are sure that you will never drive anything more than the Mini 12, then you can certainly get by with a smaller amp.

Hope this helps, Tom.

3. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Well let me put it this way hehe. I don't play any gigs right now, and even if I did, they would be small bar type gigs. I wouldn't need anything too strong, and I dont want to blow my neighbors away playing at home. I want a great sound, and one I can record, but don't necessarily need a lot of power at all. My 100W Combo is plenty loud for example, a little more wouldnt hurt.

As for money, I really have no idea right now, thats kinda what I was looking at as well, is how much I will need to spend to meet my needs. With reguards to weight, id like something not too overbearing, maybe 50lbs? Is that even reasonable or what, I really have no idea on average weights on such things.

So as far as a pre - just listen at basstasters (I've checked out some of them already) and pick the one that most matches what Im after (and I can afford hehe)? In terms of power for the cab, I was thinking no more than maybe 300-400W or so. Is that enough to drive the cab well, too much, too little?

And thanks for the help Tom :)

4. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Yup, pick your favorite preamp (based upon your description, above, I'd think that an Alembic F-1X or Aguilar DB 659 might be two to listen to), and pair it up with a smaller Stewart (World 1.2 or 1.6) or Crest (CA6), and I think you'd be very happy.

Tom.

5. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Awesome Tom, thanks a lot. Jorg said the cab will run anything from 100-600W at 4ohms. So if I bought a Stewart 1.2 for example, would I just keep the power at half or less basically to keep from hurting the cab?

6. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    You could do that, or leave the gain on the amp all the way up and keep the gain on the preamp down to a safe level. My preference is generally to use my preamp to drive a fairly robust signal (so that it passes as little "noise" as possible), and to do just what you suggest and use the gain knobs on the power amp(s) to control volume. But that said, there are others here who prefer the opposite approach (e.g., always run the amp wide-open and use preamp for volume control).

Either way, you could power a Mini 12 with a CA9 in bridged mono and still not damage the cab, so long as you were careful about your gain settings.

Does that help?

Tom.

7. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Yes it does Tom, thanks for all your input!

Ok, now to start saving my pennies after the Skjold is done hehe. I didn't know any better when I got my Ampeg, and now find the sound too muddy for me usually. I really have to up the treble to get the clarity and sound Im after.

8. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Hey Tom, or anyone else that knows, the EA iAMP 800 was actually the one I liked the sound of most, but, am I right in that it is a pre-amp and a power head in one unit? Judging from the price and wattage listed I assume so. Was just curious if that might be a good option. Ill do some searching on the boards for opinions, but I also wanted to know if anyone had specific experience with this pre/power amp and the Schroeder's.

9. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I own and love the iAMP 800. It is one of the best solid state heads that you are going to find, and it is as powerful as many rack systems. Plus, it will handle a 2 ohm load, so you could run two 4 ohm loads off of it. I give the iAMP 800 two thumbs up! I know several other TBers have used iAMP 800's with their Schroeder cabs.

Tom.

10. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

I've used my iAmp 800 with a Schroeder 1210 on lots of gigs. It works great, especially for fretless (which is all I play). I was just listening to a recording of a surf band I sat in with a few weeks ago, and the bass has a very old school vibe going.

One channel of my PLX 2402 drives the 1210 to very loud levels quite nicely as well. The amp is rated at 700 watts in that configuration, FWIW. I prefer to just take the iAmp to most gigs these days though.

11. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Cool, I'll have to try and talk you into bringing the iAmp to the next GTG so I hear it with the Schroeder's Tom hehe.

Thanks for your comments as well Passinwind :)

12. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    1965 blackfaced fender bassman...

13. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    1965 black faced fender bassman...