1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pairadice Musician's Supply Company - any experience with them?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by B-Mac, Nov 2, 2018.

1. good?

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. bad?

3 vote(s)
    60.0%
  1. B-Mac

B-Mac Sorting Things Out Supporting Member

It is actually quite an awesome sounding bass for $250.
    It was delivered yesterday.
    Scroll up to #34.
    It isn't the same bass as originally pictured with the glue line visible at the lower horn cutaway.
    I'll be trying out some upgrades over time with this thing.
    Sustains forever with no dead spots.

2. B-Mac

No overlays at all. I believe @TrustRod nailed it. Layered wood material cut on an angle.

3. B-Mac

I'll have to take a picture of the butt end!

4. B-Mac

petite fours.

TrustRod and jaysbass2002 like this.
  5. rust_preacher

rust_preacher

Dec 17, 2009
    Finland
    If you look at the picture in post #34 it shows the battery cavity. The layers of wood there are in an opposite orientation to those at the top and bottom. Layered wood, each layer orthogonal to the other equals plywood.

6. B-Mac

Nope. I’ll take a closer picture.....they’re all layers and cut at an angle like @TrustRod stated. There is no separate top and bottom over top of the other layers at an opposition angle like say a maple top over a basswood body as an example. There is no opposition orientation; But yes, still ‘plywood’ through and through except for the thru neck which is maple and mahogany. All the ‘wood grain’ on the top & bottom is the same layered block of plywood, but because it is cut at an angle all around the layers are exposed in such a way to appear wider and appear in opposition near the surface of the ‘cross cut’. I’m going to take out the pups and take more pix to see the top side.

This thing is quite surprising...sustain rivals my Ric 4003 and no dead spots anywhere.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018 at 6:42 AM
  7. rust_preacher

rust_preacher

Dec 17, 2009
    Finland
    OK, got it. Cool in my book as long as they did not misrepresent it.

8. JZQuantum

JZQuantum Supporting Member

Oct 12, 2008
    As much as it pains me to say it, I think you could make a bass body out of Pepsi bottles and it'd sound good. I would never want a "plywood" or multi-laminate bass or whatever it's called because there has to be a reason why most of us bass players prefer solid body basses made primarily of alder or ash.

Plywood is not for making basses.

9. B-Mac

They use plywood for ABGs but they call them laminates. :woot: Out of my 52 basses this is the only ‘petite four’ type bass I own! :laugh: