1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pairadice Musician's Supply Company - any experience with them?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by B-Mac, Nov 2, 2018.

1. good?

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. bad?

4 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. B-Mac

B-Mac Sorting Things Out Supporting Member

It is actually quite an awesome sounding bass for $250.
    It was delivered yesterday.
    Scroll up to #34.
    It isn't the same bass as originally pictured with the glue line visible at the lower horn cutaway.
    I'll be trying out some upgrades over time with this thing.
    Sustains forever with no dead spots.

2. B-Mac

No overlays at all. I believe @TrustRod nailed it. Layered wood material cut on an angle.

JIO likes this.
  3. B-Mac

I'll have to take a picture of the butt end!

4. B-Mac

petite fours.
    Sweet!

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
  5. rust_preacher

rust_preacher Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Finland
    If you look at the picture in post #34 it shows the battery cavity. The layers of wood there are in an opposite orientation to those at the top and bottom. Layered wood, each layer orthogonal to the other equals plywood.

6. B-Mac

Nope. I’ll take a closer picture.....they’re all layers and cut at an angle like @TrustRod stated. There is no separate top and bottom over top of the other layers at an opposition angle like say a maple top over a basswood body as an example. There is no opposition orientation; But yes, still ‘plywood’ through and through except for the thru neck which is maple and mahogany. All the ‘wood grain’ on the top & bottom is the same layered block of plywood, but because it is cut at an angle all around the layers are exposed in such a way to appear wider and appear in opposition near the surface of the ‘cross cut’. I’m going to take out the pups and take more pix to see the top side.

This thing is quite surprising...sustain rivals my Ric 4003 and no dead spots anywhere.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
  7. rust_preacher

rust_preacher Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Finland
    OK, got it. Cool in my book as long as they did not misrepresent it.

8. JZQuantum

JZQuantum Supporting Member

Oct 12, 2008
    As much as it pains me to say it, I think you could make a bass body out of Pepsi bottles and it'd sound good. I would never want a "plywood" or multi-laminate bass or whatever it's called because there has to be a reason why most of us bass players prefer solid body basses made primarily of alder or ash.

Plywood is not for making basses.

9. B-Mac

They use plywood for ABGs but they call them laminates. :woot: Out of my 52 basses this is the only ‘petite four’ type bass I own! :laugh:

10. EdBo

EdBo

May 10, 2015
    Springfield, Ohio
    *Peace be with You*
    Advertised as Active Pickups but, actually Passive Pickups with an Active PreAmp ??

B-Mac likes this.
  11. B-Mac

I haven't looked at the pups underneath but I'd gamble using a 'pair of dice' that you're right as most basses are described as having active pups when in fact they are passive and paired with an active pre-amp.

XQ-1_EQUALIZERS_惠州乐器配件 | 拾音器厂家 | 电吉他拾音器 | 双拾音器订做 | 惠州新启乐器
    J-bass pickups_Products_惠州拾音器 | 电吉他拾音器厂家 | 电吉他拾音器 | 双拾音器订做 | 惠州新启乐器
    MM style bass pickups_Products_惠州拾音器 | 电吉他拾音器厂家 | 电吉他拾音器 | 双拾音器订做 | 惠州新启乐器

EdBo likes this.
  12. EdBo

EdBo

May 10, 2015
    Springfield, Ohio
    *Peace be with You*
    From what I could see from the control cavity wiring, I don't think they're Active Pickups. If it sounds half as good as it looks and you like it, it's all good.
    Enjoy :bassist:

B-Mac likes this.
  13. B-Mac

It has sustain like crazy
    Plus this is my only J MM bass, so I'm having fun with the different sounds it generates compared to a J, P, PJ, single MM active, double MM active, humbuckers passive and mud bucker passive and Soap Bar active and passive TV Jones passive and whatever those dang things are on a RIC 4003 passive

EdBo likes this.
  14. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe

Based on history, this is incorrect. Plywood/multi-lam has been used since the 60's for guitar bodies and necks. Kubicki Factors (80's) had multi-lam hard maple necks and Phil was not the first to do that. FTR, multi-lam is technically "ply-wood" meaning layers of wood grafted together. We use "plywood" in the way we do because of the building trades, but even there there are various levels or 'grade' of the materials from construction grade to finish grade.

This is a mid-60's MIJ ss bass plywood body that I resurrected - notice how the wood (Luan/mahogany) is layered. (opposing grain pattern) A usual drawback is weight but wood is wood and it sounds like a bass. If not painted, as they usually are - the ply can offer an interesting visual look. I chose to do a part finish/part exposed ply look but have seen factory finishes of trans-stained/coloured ply bodies.
    fullsizeoutput_f03.
    fullsizeoutput_f41.

mjm0, EdBo and B-Mac like this.
  15. B-Mac

Now there's a pup combination I haven't seen ….double-double (no I didn't studder) lipstick pups! What do they sound like in that combination?

16. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    They essentially become hum-buckers when paired. If you want to get tricky you can isolate each of the 4 singles with the appropriate wiring/switching so you can mix and match both. They are cheap and most are not high-gain but they do have a character. Elite versions are made that are higher gain and more expensive.

B-Mac likes this.
  17. B-Mac

Hey for $250 brand new and neck thru and active I can't complain too much...plus it makes for great conversation at TB! :)

staurosjohn and EdBo like this.
  18. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

Pass.
    Looks sketchy, even at that price

19. B-Mac

Doesn't sound sketchy at all. Very surprising. Sure it's Chinese, but sold through a place in San Ramon, California similar to how Kona is sold through M&M Merchandisers, Inc. in Fort Worth, Texas. Has some legitimacy to it.

Also, not a sharp fret to be found....both sides of the fretboard smooth as a babies behind and the back of the neck is a smooth satin finish that makes for quick un-sticky playing.

Pairadice Musician's Supply Co.

EdBo likes this.
  20. B-Mac

And marine grade ply-wood isn't cheap! Lemme tell ya! They use it in sedimentation basins while development sites are under construction and all the contractors do is complain about how expensive it is!

EdBo and JIO like this.