Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pairing 410 Cabinet with Head (Ashdown?)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by chet67, Aug 12, 2002.

1. chet67

chet67

Aug 11, 2002
    I posted yesterday re: a Peavey "410 T" cabinet I just acquired from a friend, and Slater directed me toward the message board at peavey.com for info about wattage/ohms. A previous post there indicated that the 410 T's are (were?) rated for 250 watts rms at 4 ohms.

Looking in through the back of the cabinet, I noticed that the tweeter says it's a Fostex Model No. 025h27, 8 ohms impedance, max. 150W.

Very fundamental ohms/watts question here: could it be that the cabinet is rated for 250 watts at 4 ohms while the tweeter says 8 ohms and 150 watts max? Obviously, there's no separate in for a the tweeter, and I worry that running the max wattage through the cabinet is going to cause problems with the tweeter (I noticed the same guy on the Peavey board who'd posted about the 410 T later indicated he'd blown the tweeter).

I was eyeing an Ashdown ABM300 head for the thing; assuming it's a 250 watt/4 ohm cabinet, does that sound like it would work out all right? I'm new generally to non-combo amps, and I'm still not certain how much the head can exceed the cabinet in terms of wattage before problems arise.

Info appreciated; thanks.