1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

pairing a cab with GK RB400IV

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Indiana Mike, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Evansville
    I recently bought a brand new RB400IV. I am currently using a 2x10 tweeterless cab I made out of a dead ampeg combo.

I have been looking and looking and am quite confused and undecided . No one in town currently stocks any GK cabs so I can't even try any.

I have been looking at their neo series but have also been eyeing the MBE11 series . I know the later just has a piezo which is either on / off.

I have also been looking at avatar.

Which has free shipping at the moment .

I really do not want a 2x10 and have been eyeing 2x12's

I am a hobbyist and only get together with friends on occasion or am a lone wolf .

Any opinions?

2. My recommendation is go find an 8 Ohm 115 that sounds good for you. Then buy a second. The 400RB+2x115 rig would be pretty killer.

3. Hi There,
    I have the same amp head. It sounds really good with the Gk Neo112's and the Gk Neo 212 those cabs are very sparkly if that's your thing. Other guys on here have told me that pairing it up with some Hartke cabs would give me the 80's metal sound. I currently have it hooked up to an Ampeg B-15T combo just using the speaker. It's all up to your taste.
    Take Care,
    Brent

4. TC.65

TC.65

Dec 20, 2008
    Carbondale IL

+1 to this. That head paired up with a couple of 115 cabs will make a killer rig.

5. The 400RB IV does not have the HMS "Bi-amp" so the MBE series cabs are a good choice if you don't like tweeters anyway. I think you will find the things you like about 10's will still be there with the 12's only better. The NEO series will be a little stouter as the cabs are bigger and you can turn off the horns by switching the cab to biamp. With the NEO's switch set to "Biamp" the L-Pad and crossover to the horn is shut off even when using a speakon as the only connection in Biamp is to pins 2+,2- that the 400RB IV doesn't use.