1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pairing an Epifani UL-502 with the Berg AE112

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gruuv, Mar 11, 2009.

1. gruuv

gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    Tennessee
    Who's done it, and how'd it go?

I guess I should add that I'm looking for real world gigging experience here, if possible. I've got an Epifani T-112 NYC that is excellent for deep and wide low end, sparkley highs, etc... but it's so huge sounding that it doesn't have the punch I need as a stage monitor when we do the rockish stuff at church. My only concern is that it's supposed to be a pretty aggressive box - so when I'm doing the small jazz gigs, will it be too forward and not enough fullness in the lows?

Thanks!

2. VroomVroom

VroomVroom Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF Bay Area, CA
    I'm not sure if this will help much, but I tried this combo for a brief time in my living room. A fellow TBer stopped by, and we plugged my 502 into his AE112. To my ears, it sounded great. Really responsive in the low mids - fat, punchy, and quick. Far better than the sound I ever got with my old Epifani UL112.

3. I messed around with the 502 and the AE410. I had high hopes for this combination, since the 502 sounds so good with some of the small Schroeder cabs, which have that 'tight mid voicing' that I hear in the AE.

I really didn't dig it. The low end was cool, but the combination of that very pure, hi fi top end of the 502 with the particular upper mid and treble voicing of the AE (a bit aggressive, with quite a bit of low mids coming from the tweeter) just didn't work for my ear... harsh but not aggressive if that makes sense.

I was surprised, since many times a widely voiced head like the 502 or the iAmp sound very good with a cab voiced in the opposite direction. I dig both the iAmp and the 502 with the small Schroeder boxes, but neither with the AE410 (never tried the 112).

I'll tell you a head that is probably going to KILL with the Berg AE line, based on my experience with the SD800, and that's the soon to be shipping MB LM800 tube. That particular Markbass line (the high power class D designs) have that BIG low end like the 502, but a LOT more control of the mids, and a lot more going on above 2K. I'm pretty sure I will be getting one of these to try with my AE410. I think the new LMTube (the update to the class A/B LMII with a tube) would sound sweeter and more musical with most cabs, but every bone in my body says the wider, deeper, more scooped sounding 800 (again, assuming it is at least somewhat similar to the current SD800) should KILL with the punchy, tight AE's:bassist:

IMO.

4. gruuv

gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    Tennessee
    My thoughts exactly - very helpful, Ken and Vroom. I appreciate the info. I had some doubts about it anyway if I had to do a small jazz gig and needed a really "polite" and DBesque tone for standards and such. The AE's really sound a bit too aggressively voiced for that.