Pairing SWR Studio 220 With a QSC

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Folmeister, Jul 19, 2004.

1. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Hear me, Bass Gods!
    I want to use my little SWR Studio 220 as a preamp with my QSC 2402 amplifier. What is the best way to do this? What are the most efficient ways of wiring the rig?
  2. I'm not familiar with that amp but there are three common ways to connect a head to a power amp.

If there's a preamp out jack on the amp connect it to the ch1 input of the QSC with an instrument cable.

DI out or Balanced out into QSC with XLR cable. If there's a pre/post switch use post.

If neither of these are available you can use the effects loop out into the QSC.
  3. The S220 is a great (if somewhat bulky) preamp. It is blessed (cursed) with a plethora of line out points. The main outs on the back are pretty much as MuzicMan described and I've used these to drive power amps and direct boxes. Note: I've pretty much stopped using the XLR out to send to house PAs since so many of them these days do not have individual channel control of phantom power.

The XLR (balanced) out is the preferred, low noise connection with the most control of your signal. The the direct/line switch lets you choose between a straight connection to your bass (direct) and the sound of your bass after it has gone through the preamp/limiter/aural enhance/shelving and paragraphic EQ (line). The XLR out also has a pad that lets you control the signal (can be used as a volume control without changing the preamp gain). The XLR pad also has a ground lift built in.

The efx send (and return) is unbalanced 1/4" and is post preamp/limiter/aural enhance but pre shelving and EQ. You can use this as a send to a direct box if you need a different EQ on stage than what you send to the PA.

The preamp send has the whole chain in an unbalanced 1/4" send.

Finally, there are high and low biamp out sends controlled by the crossover knob on the front.

A somewhat abridged version of the S220 manual is available here.