1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pairings between DB750 - M6 - HS410 and DB410

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by HolyGrowl, Apr 8, 2009.

1. HolyGrowl

HolyGrowl

Jan 28, 2008
    Hi there everyone.

After recently reading some posts here about the DB750 being wide sounding and a one trick pony, I was wondering if I was the only one who experienced what I'm about to describe.

I used to own the DB750 paired with a GS212. From gig to gig, I noticed huge differences in sound depending on the environment of the venue or rehearsal space. Differences that I could not fix with EQ'ing. Kind of a lack of punch and bottom. Even by switching on the deep switch.

Getting tired of this, I changed my gear completely and now am with a Mesa M6 with a Berg HS410. My sound is now pretty much consistent at every gig no matter if it's a wooden floor stage or cement.

Before purchasing the M6, I tried it at the store into a DB410 and the sound I got is pretty much still stuck in my head since then. Though I love the sound I'm getting with the Berg I can't help but itch to change cabinets. What I fear though, is getting back into having the same kind of problems I was having before with my Aggie rig.

So... Is the Berg design that amazing?? Was there a problem either with the DB750 or the GS212? Anyone rocking a Carbine with a DB410 or anyone who could comment on the problems I used to have and tell me what could have caused it?

Thanks!

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    if anything the gs212 isnt nearly as punchy nor as in your face as most boutique 4x10's. i own a pair of gs112's, and sort of feel your pain. in some expansive and higher ceiling rooms, i find myself wanting more bottom end.

the db410 on the other hand is pretty flippin' aggressive in the mids compared to your hs410. the hs410 IME has a righteously steely and addictively pounding lower end vs. the more midrange chew of the db410.

thus, while the smoother gs212 would probably more easily succomb to losing punch, w/ the db410, i doubt you'll find yourself losing any bit of punch from that aggressively voiced cab.

3. Rimo

Rimo

Sep 28, 2008
    Australia
    If the HS410 / M6 combo sounds consistent at all the gigs and you're happy stick with it.

4. HolyGrowl

HolyGrowl

Jan 28, 2008
    Cool! Thanx man for your input.

5. HolyGrowl

HolyGrowl

Jan 28, 2008
    Went and tried the M6 with the DB410 at the store today and also compared it with a PH410.

Plugged into the Mesa first as it was already hooked up to the M6. Killed the tweeter just to be sure. Cab sounded huge, low and very loud despite it was 8 ohms. Thought it lacked a bit of punch in the low mids to my taste but I could be off because of the store's environment.

As for the DB410.... well... I don't really know what to make of it. I wasn't impressed. Sound was good but felt lifeless, dark and kind of veiled. It was also an 8 ohm cab and was not as loud as the Mesa.

All in all, I'm really don'T know.

Anyone had a chance and compared these two cabs? What are your opinions?

Thx

6. Well... Mesa heads are known to sound best with Mesa cabs.

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    dont really think our opinions matter anymore. you tried the cab, didnt dig it, and if anything, should make it that much easier to help you save your money! but it is a little strange that your first experience w/ the cab didnt quite mirror the second time.

any reason why you didnt take the hs410 with you to compare directly to the db410?

8. HolyGrowl

HolyGrowl

Jan 28, 2008
    I think it's because I tried the PH410 first and liked it's sound better than the DB410. The store also moved the bass department so the floor layout and the environment was different than the first time I tried the cab.

I didn't bring the HS410 because it was too much of a hassle. The store being in a central urban area, parking is impossible and I was alone so couldn't drop someone there with the cab while going and looking for parking etc... etc...

So... I think I'll grab the Mesa. If anything, I can bring it back and exchange it for the Aggy later on. Anyway, lot of users here say that Mesa cabs, although sounding good by themselves, it's really in the mix you get to appreciate them the most.

9. yamaha

yamaha

Apr 7, 2006
    Montreal
    I tried my HS410 with a DB750, and was not as impressed as I thought I would be. My Hs410 usualy sounds good with just about anything, and it is my no 1 gig cab. I also play a mpulse 360 (same family as m6) with the HS410 and I am quite happy with that sound.

10. HolyGrowl

HolyGrowl

Jan 28, 2008
    The HS410 sounds stellar, no question about it. I'm just out for a new flavor that's all.

Something fierce looking and rock! Oh and that also sounds good lol

11. yamaha

yamaha

Apr 7, 2006
    Montreal
    OK, my fun rock cab is a SWR Goliath senior. I still gig more with the HS410, as it is good in all applications, and is rather easy to carry, but my SWR 6x10 is a very fun rock cab that cuts through the mix quite well, sounds quite different from the Bergantino, has a more agressive flavor, and is quite (IMO) fierce looking.