1. Please read before selling or posting: TalkBass DB Classifieds Rules and FAQ
Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Palatino 3/4 Laminated Bass For Sale, Like New

Discussion in 'DB Classifieds Archive' started by Christopher, Aug 16, 2000.

1. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    1 year old Palatino 3/4-sized laminated bass for sale. Gamba corners, ebonized fittings, tyrolean tuners. Comes w/ stock strings, stock black cordura bag in excellent condition, and stock French bow in fair condition. Pretty finish, big tone. I never got around to setting it up though. (Setup should cost @$300). Asking $650.

I won't ship this bass, so you'll have to come to lower Manhattan to pick it up.

2. ade

ade

Aug 3, 2000
    could i get your address?more info plywood? in a rush...adrian

3. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Laminated = plywood (more durable than a carved top). Drop me an email offlist if you're interested.

4. dinobas

dinobas

Jun 14, 2000
    Newark Delaware
    WHat model is this bass?

5. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    The model number is VB-004.

6. Jon Stefaniak

Jon Stefaniak Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2000
    Tokyo, Japan
    ed - that's really funny!

7. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Well, you're talking about a self-selecting group there. I'd guess that for every 18th century carved instrument that made it to Y2K intact, there is at least one which didn't. (That survival ratio would partly explain the $10K+ price tags you see on the intact ones.) How about this: ceteris paribus, a laminated top is less likely to develop cracks than an identically shaped and sized carved top, when exposed to conditions of changing temperature and humidity. :)

BTW, this instrument has been sold. Thanks for looking.

8. I see it a little differently. IMO, all the old basses that are still around, despite many of them being built long before any climate control device (AC, humidifiers, dehumidifiers), and prior to modern transportation and padded bags and cushioned trunks, etc. is testament to the durability of wood and the quality and care with which they were manufactured. As one arguement goes, the cracks even make the instruments sound better, damping the vibrations, giving the basses their dark, mellow character.