Palatino EUB vs Palatino DB "Quality"

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by jdh3000, Oct 21, 2021.

Tags:
  1. jdh3000

jdh3000

May 16, 2016
    Arkansas
    I wasn't sure whether this should be posted in the DB or EUB forum.

Let me preface by saying that I've read many, many posts about the Palatino acoustic upright and the warnings NOT to buy one; how many luthiers won't touch them, that they are just BSO(bass shapped objects) and POS... and I'll add that I'm not looking to get either one, this is just a post of curiosity about yhe company.

In contrast the Palatino megathreads is just full of happy owners. True many modded them, but I've read post after post of people who are very pleased with them, and not just newbies.

Is there something I'm missing? Aren't they both made by the same company?

How is it that a business that makes "very playable, decent sounding EUBs turn out inferior acoustics?

I know there's a lot of difference in the building of an DB and EUB, but still I'm curious.

2. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Interesting question. Just because a product is imported by the same company does not mean it is built in the same factory. It's often impossible for retail customers to figure out details of manufacturing in the Asian musical instrument trade.

Here are some thoughts:

a) As noted, there's no reason to assume that the same company builds both products.

b) Players expect EUBs to cover less ground than DBs. Most DB buyers expect their instrument to deliver robust, nuanced sound with a bow, playing pizz acoustically and playing with a pickup through an amp. That's three different jobs. In contrast, an EUB is only supposed to accomplish that last task. There's a certain amount of, "Aim lower, score higher."

c) For some the basic expectation for EUB sound is lower. I bought my EUB to let my ancient DB stay home for outdoor gigs and rehearsals in the dead of Maine winter. "OK sound" was the target. I didn't expect it to supplant my DB sonically and it doesn't.

d) Simply put, when you're laying out $xx,xxx for a premium DB you're pickier than when you're paying $800 for a used VB-500.

I hope that's more than no help. All the best with your quest!

3. jdh3000

jdh3000

May 16, 2016
    Arkansas
    I was thinking it was probably separate factories with different quality control, different budgets and just overall management.

I'm really not considering the Palatino DB as I've read several horror stories on here about the necks coming off and sound posts pushing through the back.

I however probably wouldn't mind an EUB if that's what I was in the market for, but my nxt is great and I am still in search of a decent DB.

Palatinos are on the local market and no one can get rid of them. There are several unbranded basses listed too but I figure it's something like that amd they aren't listing it the name.

Thanks!

4. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    SoCal
    So much I could say here but I don't want to end up testifying in court, so I'll leave it at this: yes, the EUB and DB are made by two entirely different factories.

5. They’re both crap.

keiranhohara and Eli Brockway like this.
  6. BarfanyShart

BarfanyShart

Sep 19, 2019
    DC Metro
    I always liked my Pal EUB, to the point that I gigged it for years instead of taking my pretty nice carved Czech DB for rides in the car. Still have it, and still like it just fine. I was surprised the first time I came across a Pal DB in the wild, and it was just about unplayable. The Palatino DBs have to be just some junk imported from wherever in China, equivalent to the stuff music stores rent to ignorant children. My Pal EUB, by contrast, is made of real wood, resonates like a musical instrument, and is capable of making usable musical sounds.

jdh3000 likes this.