Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Palatino VB-004

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by todostusmuertos, Sep 29, 2004.

1. todostusmuertos

todostusmuertos

Feb 26, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    First of all, I'm an electric bass player and I'm very interested in learning double bass, so I went to Sam ASh and found this bass there which had been used and price was 999.99 and the person I spoke to said that was a good price for a Palatino double bass. Anyways, I bought it and brought it home and I have been doing some research. What can you tell me about this bass? I'm beginning to think I got ripped off cause I see on the web for 700 bucks brand new and I paid 1000 used. Plause it's got a few dints here and there. I thought well if it's used and they have it for a thousand bucks it must be good.
    Is this a good bass for beginners?

2. Gufenov

Gufenov

Jun 8, 2003
  3. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    I would take it back and demand my money back. That isn't going to make for a good instrument to learn the UB.

Matt

4. todostusmuertos

todostusmuertos

Feb 26, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    That's what I will do.
    Thank you guys for the replies.

5. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    You can get a good laminate bass for that money, plus save some extra for a set-up.

At least this way you'll have a bass to learn on that isn't going to hurt or hinder your learning process.

Try and track down a teacher to help you purchase a good beginner instrument.

Matt

6. todostusmuertos

todostusmuertos

Feb 26, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    THat's what I will do.
    Thanks a lot guys.

7. dnauhei

dnauhei

Aug 10, 2011
    Seattle
    Yes, you over paid. I got mine for a little of $700 with tax, which was an exceptional deal. However, it is an excellent bass, at least for what I do (bluegrass). Better than any bass I have played at twice the price. Great volume and tone. Great fingerboard. No problems so far. Came with a good set up, so no luthier needed. I am an advocate for these basses. It opened up and gained more volume, bass and a fuller tone with just a few hours of playing. No dead spots. Viva Crapatino!

8. Herbie 80's

Herbie 80's

Dec 15, 2008
    Way to post on a 7 year old thread.

9. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    This thread is 7 years old.
    Price doesn't mean much after all that time.
    Furthermore your profile says you have an Englehardt.

PS Herbie beat me to it. :)

10. catty

catty

Mar 25, 2006
    Montana
    Price changes...but crap endures, no?

11. im thinkin of grabbin one... 2012 for $600... whatcha thinkin.. goodbye for a beginner urbassist...?

12. Hello no. $600 is goodbye to your hard-earned money, but isn't a good buy. If all you have is $600 and you're not too serious about learning the instrument look for a used Engelhardt or, better yet, a Shen.

13. Rebop

Rebop

Jul 9, 2008
    La Honda, CA
    I got one but I wouldn't own it if it was my only bass. Good for loud bar gigs playing rock. Stinks for straight-ahead jazz.
    I spent $400 and it's better than $400 but not much.
    It needed a lot of setup work when I got it; luckily I know how to do that stuff so it was "free".
    Have someone that plays upright check it out with you if you can.
    Some of my students have $500-900 basses that honestly surprise me. They can be fairly decent.
    One of my students got an Englehardt and I'm not at all thrilled with it for the money he spent.

14. chopsy

chopsy

Jul 3, 2012
    Utica, NY
    I have an "Antonius VB-003" which I understand is the same thing just under a different name (also 3/4, not 4/4)

It needs help badly setup-wise, but I got it cheap. In the end it will be a $700 bass I grow on but right now it sounds terrible.

Be prepared for this $600 bass to grow in cost since it will need work just to be simply playable. at $600 it's not really a steal if it needs work and strings....

15. The re-sale value of these basses is very, very low. If you buy a new one, you'll probably never re-coop the money you'll sink into it to make it playable. (If you play long enough, you'll more-than-likely want a better sounding bass as your technique and ears become more mature.)

If you *have* to buy one of these (as opposed to renting a quality bass), the thing to look for is a *used* one with the set-up already done. Then have it vetted by a experienced player and/or shop.

Finding these basses used shouldn't be a big deal. I see them all the time on Craigslist, and often their owners are desperate to unload them cheaply (for good reason).