1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Palatino VE-500 Contact Point DIY - For the Bassist that Sits While Playing

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by Michael Drost, Mar 7, 2019.

1. Michael Drost

Michael Drost Supporting Member

Oct 16, 2009
    Grand Haven, MI
    So,

I've had this VE-500 in my bassment for a while. I have avoided playing it because I sit while playing my DB and it lacks the body contact points.

After a few trips to Home Depot, I came up with a viable and cheap solution. I can sit with the VE-500 now. It rests on my belly and knee just like the DB. Pretty cool.

I bought 1/2" aluminum rod, made a copy of the side support and bent it at the ends to a 40ish degree angle. The knee rest is aluminum stock, 1/4" carriage bolt, a pipe ground clamp, some nuts, and shrink wrap to cover the threads.

I hope the pics do the mod justice.

Attached Files:

HateyMcAmp likes this.
  2. Nice idea!
    What about the leg/knee support. Doesn't it try to rotate the endpin when it rests on your leg/knee?

If the bent aluminium rod is too much polished it might slip. Wrapping some cloth strips or rubber foam around the rod (and fixed to the rod so the wrap can not rotate over the tod) might help in that case.

MDrost1 likes this.
  3. Michael Drost

Michael Drost Supporting Member

Oct 16, 2009
    Grand Haven, MI
    Nope, the leg knee support is secure. I use two wing nuts on the opposite sides of the carriage bolt to really clamp it down so there is no movement. The endpin tension(er)? and the knee rest stay pretty stable so far. It can be adjusted relatively easily as well, and removed.

Having the knee contact point really prevents slipping, but rubber foam is a good idea! I'll try that. Thanks!

4. I know this an old thread, but this related idea is copied from my thread.
    This is a prototype for a sitting position support for classical practice. I started by modifying the right bracket back about 30ish degrees as the Italian YouTube bassist Mrsunnybass has. I used 1/2” pvc as it is easy to cut and bend with 1/2” dowel. I am finding that this single attachment version is more stable, comfortable, and adjustable. I bent 1/2” aluminum rod and am using 17/32 o.d. K&S brass tubing #8140 going into pvc thigh brackets. Will see how this works for a few weeks before going forward with more mods. 9F782E83-4810-4CA8-9A18-CD9851F1C6EC.jpeg

Michael Drost and HateyMcAmp like this.
  5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 27, 2020