1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Palatino VE-500 setup for Pros. Yes that's right this bass can make a pro happy

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by Horganstein, Mar 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Horganstein

Horganstein Inactive

Feb 24, 2016
    After all the mumbo jumbo going on in here about the Palatino EUB not being an instrument that Pros even bother looking at and rather pay 3, 4, $5000 for something which is said to sound amazingly similar a real double basse but in reality is far from doing so.
    I've been playing double bass in jazz situations for 30 years and have an amazing old acoustic double bass with an incredible sound. Being I travel a fair amount abroad I got tired of dealing with the nightmares most travelling double bassists have encountered throughout their travels. So, not believing for a minute that paying crazy amounts of money for an EUB, I decided to buy a cheap one (Palatino ve-500) and see for myself whether something good could be done with this instrument, being everyone had nothing but bad things to say about them. Now I know from experience that you can fall on bad ones and great ones just like going out and trying out a bass in a shop and out of the 10 that you try, they all sound different and if you know something about them then you know a good one from a bad one which do exist even in cheaper instruments and is the same for even expensive ones. But you have to also be able to distinguish between good and bad. These Palatino basses are cheaply made but do have some good things about them and so, once you've discovered what is bad about them, you throw them out and replace the parts with better quality ones which is what I did and still kept me in the half the price range of any of those fancy EUBs that claim to sound great.
    Here's a run down on what I have done so far with very satisfying results for a EUB sounding at its best.
    1- New high quality bridge well cut which is essential for playing facility and how well it will vibrate on the body.
    2- Of course the best strings you can find and for me after experimenting with Spirocores which are kind of the classic jazz strings everyone has been using for years and which I use on my acoustic double bass. I found that the best sounding strings for this EUB are the Obligato strings which are synthetic core with a very thin metal wrap. They were designed to emulate gut strings and I find they give a much warmer sound than any other strings installed on the Palatino.
    3- Surely if you have a Palatino you noticed that the tailpiece is made of metal which attaches to a small wooden block where the strings are installed. What I did was remove the whole metal piece and kept the wooden section and also left the metal clamp that holds the tailpiece in place at the bottom of the bass. I got some 1/8 inch stranded wire which fits perfectly threw the existing holes in the wooden section and reconnected everything back to the clamp which is screwed at the bottom of the bass. Easy as pie !
    By doing this I also made the tailpiece much shorter by using just a short piece of stranded wire and once i installed all the strings loosely, I cut a small piece of wood about 3 1/2 inches long the width of the wooden tailpiece section and placed under the wooden tailpiece as to raise the tailpiece much more than it stood before doing this and also seems to make things vibrate better. This was done because if you know anything about tailpiece adjustments you surely heard about people having risers install where the wire runs over the bass coming from the endpin. By doing this you are releiving tension on the body and also the string tension which lets everything vibrate more freely. I did this since I found the string tension on the palatino was extremely tight compare to my own acoustic double bass and since I had a previous bass years ago where my luthier had done this to that bass.
    4- I already had a Realist pickup and Full Circle at home which I had tried on the bass with fairly good results but a friend of mine lent me his Realist Lifeline pickup and so I gave it a try and found that this pickup aside from being able to be taken off easily to use on another bass, it gave me the best sound out of all three.
    5- Last one which doesn't really have anything to do with sound, I changed the tuning machines since the palatino ones are pretty wimpy and after a certain amount of time start slipping and wear down .
    Conclusion:
    Even with all these modifications I am still way way way under the cost of having to buy the high cost EUBs out there.
    Hope some of this can be useful to you all
    Cheers
    P.S.
    No Carl !!! I won't be posting photos but I will gladly send you a sound file so that you stop having nightmares about how yours sounds and at the same time you can use those photos of yours as placemats on your dining table.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
    Rivoli and Sid Sagee like this.
  2. Tom Lane

Tom Lane Gold Supporting Member

I thought a "palatino" was a gold horse with a white mane, no? Trigger and Mr. Ed were both palatinos.

carl h. likes this.
  3. Horganstein

Horganstein Inactive

Feb 24, 2016
    How much did you say you paid again ?
    Haaaaaaaaaaaaaa

4. Horganstein

Horganstein Inactive

Feb 24, 2016
    I didn't think Talkbass would let a bunch of cowboys into this place.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2016
  5. Tom Lane

Oh, of course, you're right! What was I thinking? Mr Ed was a Palamino! Dooh!

6. Horganstein

Horganstein Inactive

Feb 24, 2016
    Now I know why and how you became a Gold member.
    Strike three. You're out !!!!!

Last edited: Mar 19, 2016
  7. Rising the saddle doesn't change the tension of the string.

Tom Lane likes this.
  8. Horganstein

Horganstein Inactive

Feb 24, 2016
    Well it sure feels like it and it 100% does relieve tension on the top of the bass that's fo shoooo !!!!
    Ask your friendly luthier !
    Got lots of trouble makers in here tonight knit picking subtle little discrepancies while others are a big factor in how the bass reacts when raising the saddle since the bass starts singing a lot more and consequently seems easier to play because of this factor. Then there's the guy who likes to talk about Palamino horses.

9. Horganstein

Horganstein Inactive

Feb 24, 2016
    In any case here's the deal: Once you get your EUB set up like a double bass and really know how to play a double bass then you need, fingerboard set up the right way, good bridge, tailpiece, then the big factor in getting this instrument to sound anywhere near an amplified acoustic double bass is the right strings, pickup and amplification.
    Et voilà mes amis
    Sweet dreams

10. Tom Lane

I'm sure you're 110 percent correct. Does it matter if the bridge is gold like the hair or does it need to be white like the mane? S'il vous plait!

carl h. likes this.
  11. Horganstein

Horganstein Inactive

Feb 24, 2016
    Yes bridge needs to be gold in your case to go along with your teeth.

12. WOW a professional is finally posting on this subject!

13. What it feels like and what it is is not the same.
    You were stating that the string tension decreased because of the raised saddle and this is not correct. Even the luthiers here say that. That it feels similar to that might be, but that is the feel not the real tension.

Be more precise, then I don't need to correct.
    This is a forum a lot of people read and I don't want them to get mislead.

If a Czech Ease is good enough for Dave Holland to play on tour, I think it should be good enough for you.
    If it is too expensive for what you get, continue experimenting with your Palatino.

If you continue to behave on Talkbass as you have done until now, get prepared for some administrator action.

14. Horganstein

Horganstein Inactive

Feb 24, 2016
    Pullleeeeezzzzzzz

15. You've been told many things here by folks with more experience than you and you always choose to respond with condescending snark.

You're amusing, but it's getting tiring.

16. Horganstein

Horganstein Inactive

Feb 24, 2016
    If you had read what I have written you would have noticed that I have finished experimenting with the Palatino since mine is working and sounding great. And if you want to make a big deal out of me stating that I thought the string tension felt better than go ahead. Second of all don't come in here and threaten me with administrator action since you should have done that to many existing posts of people having mislead others into doing ridiculous things to their basses for at least the last 5 years. If you want to pull your power trip on me, go right ahead.
    P.S.
    Who in the hell is talking about the Czech bass and Dave Holland? This is a Palatino thread not a $4000 or more travel acoustic bass.

17. Horganstein

Horganstein Inactive

Feb 24, 2016
    Yes you're right more experience in showing photos is what you have. But no concrete proof of your findings . If I find out you are one of the administrators of Talkbass, I will then fall off my chair laughing.

b/o 402 likes this.
  18. Make sure your mommy fastens the safety harness before she walks away.

19. Horganstein

Horganstein Inactive

Feb 24, 2016
    Bye bye !!!

20. maxresdefault.jpg

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 25, 2020

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.