1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

pale moon ebony 6

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by maybass77, Nov 29, 2006.

1. maybass77

maybass77 swm

Feb 26, 2006
    southeast michigan
    6 string, pale moon ebony top (thanks again todd), flame maple/ebony neck, ebony fretboard, chinese "6" inlay. should be fun!

2. wow, sounds heavy and expensive, yet amazingly cool

3. I'll bet whoever is buying that is one bad ass player (and super cool guy)....

4. eleonn

eleonn

Aug 24, 2006
    Lima - Perú
    This is gonna be a great looking bass!!!

I want two of them, some french fries and a coke please. For delivery!!! :smug:

5. mkrtu9

mkrtu9

Mar 2, 2006
    Tuscola
    And I want you to feed me. Key is under the mat.

nice bass

6. andvari7

andvari7

Aug 28, 2004
    Ennui
    Where, oh where can one find this elusive pale moon ebony?

7. Thonk

Thonk

Sep 14, 2003
    UK
    Well exoticwoodbrokers has some but it ani't cheap!

8. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Most other vendors call it mun ebony, which is probably a more proper name. You can search on that, too.

9. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Just FYI, that "Chinese 6" is written incorrectly (or sloppily, at best)- 2 of the 4 strokes are incorrect, and 1 of the remaining is marginal.

It'll look really, really bad to have that inlayed like that.

10. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    I have heard it called "black and white" ebony as well. It's relatively new to the US retail market, hard to get wide and clear. The wide stuff I have seen has been around $100/bf.

11. the balck and white ebony is actually from Africa. This stuff is from Asia and is much rarer (and very hard to get a big piece, esp with a book match)....Only prob is it cost me mega bucks, but what the hell...

12. tribal3140

tribal3140 Banned

Nov 9, 2004
    near detroit...uh
    the " pale moon ebony" can be called black and white ebony but the moniker "pale moon ebony" is more common.
    it is a variety close to the mun ebony family but not mun ebony.
    doisyrus .spp or diosyprus mun are different genuses.

when one refers to black and white ebony they can be referring to either but more commonly refering to african black and white
    which is gaboon ebony and its juxaposed cream sapwood, which also can have a marbleing effect on the heart too, hence the black and white ebony.

when I say pale moon ebony I mean
    diospyrus embryopteris
    which is from LAOS and thailand
    (asia minor).
    a very different breed than the african black and white which is the common referral.

the "pale moon ebony" is very rare for several reasons.
    one, it dries very very poorly! so the largest average pieces you see in the worlds market are pen and small spindle blanks.
    finding it in large instrument sizes is about the rarest occurance in the timber trades!
    its about 100x easier to find pink ivory and skakewood in larger sizes!

I cant go into prices here but matts right, because of those factors it is among the most expensive timbers in the world!

hey I do know something after all!:eek:
    T

13. andvari7

andvari7

Aug 28, 2004
    Ennui
    While I am absolutely grateful for that straight-forward answer, I am (understandably) disappointed. And here I was hoping a fingerboard would come under $150. Oh, well.

Having settled that, are there are other similar-looking, hard (for FBs) woods that are significantly cheaper and easier to come by?

14. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    My experience has been that fingerboards are easier to find than wide tops for the pale moon/pale mun. I was able to get a fingerboard blank for well < $150 at a lumberyard. Even at $100/bf, a fingerboard sized blank should come in at 1bf or less. What the eventual price you get from a luthier/lumber seller may come in higher depending on how much searching/processing/minimum order they have to do to find a piece that meets your requirements.... Alembic gets $300 for a macassar ebony...

Maybe marblewood will suit you just as well, though. It's very tough and much less expensive.

15. tribal3140

tribal3140 Banned

Nov 9, 2004
    near detroit...uh
    alembic charges $1500 for a buckeye top and another $700 for a full top!
    now thats insanity.
    that macc fingerboard sounds good comparitvely!

16. andvari7

andvari7

Aug 28, 2004
    Ennui
    But that's just Alembic. They overcharge for everything, even Alembic t-shirts.

17. Kran Banger

Kran Banger

Dec 1, 2006
    if you dont mind me asking how much did you spend on this bass?, its kickin by the way

18. New pic

tophorncut.

Here's what the finished product will look like. (minus chinese inly and maple border around black swirl)

pme-21000.

19. tribal3140

tribal3140 Banned

Nov 9, 2004
    near detroit...uh
    damn! shawns cooking on this already!
    lookin Good!

20. Hey Todd, he just sent me this

horncarvesetail.