1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Palle Danielsson -- CONTRA POST

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by Sam Sherry, Sep 19, 2010.

1. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    I've listened to Contra Post, Mr. Danielsson's 1995 album, about eight times in the past three days. Simply put, this disc has everything I look for in a jazz record. Deep, skillful, risky, emotional playing. Thoughtful, uncompromising-yet-accessible writing in a wide variety of styles. First-rate players in every chair, employed in a wide variety of configurations to get the very most of the ensemble sonically. Great recorded sound (my only complaint is that, ironically, the bass could be a drop fuller). It sings, it swings, it walks, it wanders. What a revelation!

Mr. Danielsson's personal approach calls to mind the cream of his contemporaries, including such names as Holland, Gomez and LaFaro.

Thank you EMusic. I never would have found this piece and I sure as heck would not have paid fifteen bucks for it if I had. Moments like this are precisely what we most hope for when we subscribe to a service like EMusic.

Anybody else heard this? Any other suggestions for further listening?

2. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I need to check that out. I saw him waaay back when with Keith Jarrett, he was great.

3. I've had it for a while. He is a wonderful bassist! There are several albums with the Peter Erskine Trio that are just great, mostly for his bass playing and there is a beautiful recent Dino Salluzzi trio as well as some earlier Enrico Rava albums all on ECM.

4. I meant to post something sooner. I bought this on Sam's recommendation and have to agree, it is really fantastic. I had it running in my iPhone for a couple of days just running around grooving to it.

makr

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 5, 2021