Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Palle Danielsson - with Keith Jarrett or other Recordings?

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by Bruce Lindfield, Aug 1, 2003.

1. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

At Jazz Summerschool last week, the DB tutor (Steve Watts)played us some of his favourite recordings for bass playing - so he played people I would expect like Ron Carter - but he also played us a track from a Keith Jarrett album : My Song -

http://www.ecmrecords.com/ecm/recordings/1115.html

So, the bass player on this was Palle Danielsson who I hadn't heard before, but was cited as a contrast in approach - more of an expansive sound - very nice tone!

So - what do you all think - any other examples of his playing - have you heard of him before? I've never seen any mentions round here, but I thought he had a wonderful tone - although I only heard one track.

2. He's a real great swedish jazz bassist. Very melodic and has a great sound. I have one CD with him. It is a solo album named "Contra Post". It's pretty much a soft melodic instrumental jazz album with a few other great swedish musicians. I highly recommend it! I saw him live in Copenhagen, about 7 years ago, with jazz pianist Geri Allen. Very nice concert!!!

3. Bruce Lindfield

I just ordered a couple of CDs from Amazon - so the one I mentioned above and a trio CD with Pete Erskine on drums and John Taylor - the great British Jazz Pianist, who I've also been recommended to listen to.

4. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
  5. Bruce Lindfield

Yes - I looked at that - it helped me decide which CDs to order - I just had an email that Amazon has just shipped an order to me with about 4 CDs in!! :)

6. Lovebown

Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Sweden
    Other smoking swedish jazz bassists to look out for are Anders Jormin and Lars Danielsson.

/lovebown

7. Hey Bruce,
    if You have that extra £ to spend, order that
    album "contra post" which Andreas mentions.
    A great album, great players in it, too.
    The album cover shows his bass, one of the most beatiful old instruments I´ve seen. No wonder how he sounds with a bass like that.
    The album features a very nice cut, "Monk´s Mood" played as duet with guitar.

R2

8. Bruce -- I just saw your post and thought I'd mention a recording I've got from about 1974, by the Jan Garbarek-Bobo Stenson Quartet, called "Witchi-Tai-To". Palle Danielsson was the bassist in this Norwegian group.

He did great work on this album. The title song, Witchi Tai To, is an adaption of a Native American song that was first recorded by the late saxophonist Jim Pepper. The Garbarek-Stenson Quartet gave it a jazzier treatment. I think the musicianship on this recording was outstanding, including Palle Danielsson.

9. Bruce Lindfield

I do like his work with the Keith Jarret quartet which also has Garbarek, but I think the recording I like best is the ECM trio one I mentioned - lead by Pete Erskine with John Taylor on piano - this has some great tunes and some amazing ensemble playing - they play a lot of very slow tempos - but it's never dull or boring!

Wonderful spacey sound and beatiful tone and tasteful playing from all three players.

It's called "Time Being".

10. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Thought I would bring this thread back from the dead to say that I saw Palle play last night with the new John Taylor trio (Martin France on drums). A wonderful performance - mostly John Taylor originals, some Steve Swallow and Kenny Wheeler tunes, and some Cole Porter for the encore.

This trio has a new album, 'Angel of the Presence', out on the Camjazz label (distributed in the US by Sunnyside and iTunes).

11. oliebrice

oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    London, UK
    I'm off to see that trio next week in Bristol, really excited about it.

12. If you can't see him live check out the DVD, Peter Eerskin Trio , with Palle and John Taylor, "Live at the Jazz Baltica" available at Amazon. Really awesome interplay,and groove, great solo's by Palle .

13. Thanks for the tip, I will try to track down this DVD.